Kinematics In Two Dimensions - Archery

In summary, the problem involves determining the initial velocity of an arrow shot parallel to the ground based on the distance it travels and the angle at which it strikes the ground. The student uses trigonometry to calculate the initial height and then employs equations for motion in the y-direction to determine the time of flight. They then use the ratio of velocities and the constant velocity in the x-direction to find the initial velocity in that direction. Utilizing a hint provided, the student successfully solves the problem and obtains the correct answer.
Boyerta

Homework Statement

Hey guys, so here's the problem I'm given:

You are watching an archery tournament when you start wondering how fast an arrow is shot from the bow. Remembering your physics, you ask one of the archers to shoot an arrow parallel to the ground. You find the arrow stuck in the ground 65.3 m away, making a 2° angle with the ground. How fast was the arrow shot?

Homework Equations

Equations I used:

tanθ=opp/adj

Yf = Yi + Vyit + 1/2(ay)t2
^For the motion in the y-direction as it's under constant acceleration in the y-direction.

Vx = (Δx/t)
^For motion in the x-direction as it has constant velocity in the x-direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the problem, I see it wants the initial velocity, which would be the same as the initial velocity in the x-direction because the arrow is shot parallel to the ground, there is no y-component of velocity. I have a Δx (65.3 m), but no time.

I decide to use the equation I listed for the motion in the y-direction, but realize I need an initial distance in the y-direction (height).

Here's where I'm not quite sure if my method works. I draw a triangle having an angle of 2° like given in the problem and an adjacent side of 65.3 m. I use tan(2°) = opposite/65.3
From that I get an inital height of 2.28 m, which seems a bit high but reasonable.

Now I use
Yf = Yi + Vyit + 1/2(ay)t2

Yf = 0 m ; Yi = 2.28 m ; Vyi = 0 m/s (arrow was shot parallel to the ground) ; ay = -9.8 m/s2

-4.9t2 + 2.28 = 0

t = .682 s Seems reasonable.

Now I use Vx = (Δx/t) to find the initial velocity in the x-direction.

Vx = (65.3/.682) = 95.75 m/s

However, my online homework site tells me it's incorrect. I feel that 95.75 m/s is a reasonable speed for an arrow. That's around 200 miles per hour isn't it?

I think my usage of tangent was probably incorrect but it was the only way I could make any progress on the problem.

Any hints or a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
When the arrow strikes the ground, you know the ratio of velocities. You also know that the velocity in the horizontal direction is constant and the range is that velocity multiplied by the time of flight. The time of flight can also be related to the ratio of velocities.

Your hint was exactly what I needed, I figured it all out and got the correct answer.
Thank you LawrenceC, I appreciate it!

Related to Kinematics In Two Dimensions - Archery

1. What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions is the study of the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves along a horizontal and vertical axis.

2. How is kinematics used in archery?

Kinematics is used in archery to predict the trajectory and flight path of an arrow. By analyzing the initial speed and angle of the arrow, as well as the effects of gravity and air resistance, kinematics can determine where the arrow will land.

3. What is the importance of understanding kinematics in archery?

Understanding kinematics in archery is important for improving accuracy and precision. By understanding the factors that affect the flight of an arrow, archers can adjust their technique and equipment to achieve their desired aim.

4. What are the key variables in kinematics for archery?

The key variables in kinematics for archery include the initial speed of the arrow, the angle at which it is shot, the effects of gravity and air resistance, and the distance the arrow travels. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also play a role in the arrow's trajectory.

5. How does kinematics help in analyzing an archer's performance?

Kinematics can help in analyzing an archer's performance by providing data on the arrow's flight path and comparing it to the desired target. This can help identify areas for improvement in technique or equipment, such as adjusting the angle or force of the shot to achieve a more accurate result.