Kinematics, finding the displacement and comparing

In summary, the conversation discusses using a map to measure displacement from Bradford to Milton and comparing it to the distances traveled for different routes. The solution involves finding the magnitude and direction of the displacement vector on the map. Eventually, the person was able to figure it out after taking a break.
stephmaep

Homework Statement

using a map, measure the displacement from Bradford to Milton. Compare the distances traveled to the for each route above with this displacement and explain the differences

Homework Equations

Δd = vΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, so i may just being having a brain fart but. I've made my graphs for position-time graph for the truck traveling to deliver celery. I'm really just having a problem as to find the displacement on the map from Bradford to Milton. I don't really know how to approach it at this moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are measuring the displacement on a map from Bradford to Milton, the magnitude of the length of a straight line drawn between the 2 cities is the magnitude of the displacement. The angle that that displacemnt vector makes with the horizontal gives you the direction of the displacement. Neglecting curvature of the Earth. The vector sum of the separate displacements made by the truck also gives the total displacement.

i was indeed having a brain fart after walking away and coming back i figured it out thank you though :)

Related to Kinematics, finding the displacement and comparing

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

How do you find displacement?

Displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final position of an object. It can be calculated by taking the final position and subtracting the initial position.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that represents the change in position of an object, while distance is a scalar quantity that represents the total length traveled by an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not.

How do you compare the motion of two objects?

To compare the motion of two objects, you can look at their displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You can also plot their motion on a position-time or velocity-time graph to see how they differ.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that represents the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that represents the rate of change of an object's displacement. Velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.