Kinematics: Distance and time with limited acceleration and deceleration

In summary: And then try different values for A, B, and C to see which gives you the best fit.In summary, the motorcycle travels 300m along a straight horizontal track to point B where it comes to a stop. If the acceleration is limited to 0.7g and deceleration to 0.6g, calculate the least possible time to cover the distance and maximum velocity reached.
MMCS
a motorcycle starts from rest point A and travels 300m along a straight horizontal track to point B where it comes to a stop. if the acceleration is limited to 0.7g and deceleration to 0.6g calculate the least possible time to cover the distance and maximum velocity reached.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? i don't know where to start with this as the distance traveled at acceleration and deceleration is not defined and as they are not the same i assume you can't divide the distanc by 2

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MMCS! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Call the two distances s1 and s2

you know they have to add to 300 …

then get two standard constant acceleration equations (one with a = 0.7 and one with a = -0.6), combine them with s1 and s2 = 300, and solve :wink:

Thanks!

Could you possible reccomend a formula to use, i can't find one that includes distance, time and acceleration without velocity and i can't use velocity because S1 has an U value of 0 but an unknown V and visa versa for S2, leaving 2 unknows in each equation t and u or v

Last edited:
Sorry I am new to this:

if i was to use this formula v2 = u2 + 2as for say S1 what whould i use as the distance as 300 is the distance for S1 and S2

also i have tried to use this one s = ut + 1/2 at^2

S1 = 0t + 1/2 x 6.9 x t^2

S2 = ut + 1/2 x 5.9 x t^2

S1 + S2 = 300

3.45 x t^2 + -2.95 x t^2 + ut = 300

0.5 x t^2 + ut = 300

300/0.5 = t^2 + ut

600 = t^2 + ut

Because i don't know U for s2 i have 2 unknowns so i can't solve it

MMCS said:
Because i don't know U for s2

ah, but you know V for s2 instead (and a s and t) :wink:

Where can i use V?

in s = ut + 1/2 at2

you can either use negative t (so your "start time" is 0, and your "end time" is -t),

or if you prefer you can memorise the alternative formula:

s = vt - 1/2 at2 :smile:

So we have

S1 = 0t + 1/2 x 6.9 x t^2

S2 = 0t - 1/2 x - 5.9 x t^2

S1 + S2 = 300

3.45 x t^2 + 2.95 x t^2 + ut = 300

6.4 x t^2 = 300

300/6.4 = t^2

46 = t^2

sqrt46 = t

6.85 = t

However i have 13.76s as the answer in my booklet? Have a gone wrong anywhere?

Thanks for your help, hopefully iv nearly got it!

One small problem -- you've assumed that the time intervals for acceleration and deceleration are equal. That is, you've used the same variable, t, for both the acceleration time and the deceleration time. This is unlikely to be true as the accelerations are not equal in magnitude.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43182&stc=1&d=1327678980.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 815
So there would have to be separate functions for t1 and t2? How would i get them?

MMCS said:
So there would have to be separate functions for t1 and t2? How would i get them?

Study the diagram that I posted above. What are the slopes of the line segments making up the velocity vs time function? Can you determine a relationship between t1 and t2?

you have to minimise t1 + t2, given that they satisfy a equation of the form At12 - Bt22 = C

there are various ways of doing this: one would be to write the thing you have to minimise (t1 + t2) as P (and maybe chuck in (t1 - t2) as Q) :wink:

Related to Kinematics: Distance and time with limited acceleration and deceleration

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is distance in kinematics?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object in a given timeframe. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

3. What is time in kinematics?

Time is the duration of an event or the interval between two events. It is a fundamental concept in kinematics as it is used to measure the speed and acceleration of objects.

4. How is acceleration related to kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In kinematics, acceleration is used to describe how an object's speed changes over time.

5. How does limited acceleration and deceleration affect kinematics?

Limited acceleration and deceleration can affect kinematics by restricting the maximum speed and rate of change of speed of an object. This can result in slower or more gradual changes in position and velocity over time.