Kinematics Book Question -- Rowing a boat across a river at an angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity and trigonometric functions in solving a problem in kinematics. The solution involves calculating the velocity of the boat relative to the flowing river and adding it to the velocity of the river to get the total velocity of the boat. There is a discussion about the direction of the velocity and confusion about the use of trigonometric functions in representing it graphically. The conversation also mentions some inconsistencies in the use of angles.
raniero
Hi, I was trying to solve the following problem which was assigned to me in my Kinematics course.
2ccqgs6.jpg

I found this solution for it. I understand the concept of relative velocity of the boat to the flowing river but what I really cannot understand is the trig part, of Vb/r :
Vb/r = 5cos(theta)i - 5sin(theta)j

Where did the cos(theta) and sin (theta) come from? I understand that this is represented in vectorial form, but I cannot visualize the direction of this velocity. Probably a graphical solution would solve my problem.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the "5?" What are the definitions of "sin" and of "cos?"

5 is the velocity relative to the 2m/s flow and sin is a function that calculates the fraction out of the hypotenuse value, in this case 5, in a particular direction.

I can now understand the Vb/r part, but I got confused when I tried to visualise Vb .

Any help, especially graphical help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t34.0-12/10850742_10205179152815788_535294229_n.jpg?oh=7b9336761d53fdc41bde227b3f48da6e&oe=548A2ED6&__gda__=1418263047_41c23a5855f862274f068da0c46029b4

vb is at 45 degrees because the boat travels 50 m (width of the river) and lands 50 m downstream from A

Note that the angle between vr and vb is not ##\theta## as I think I read in your drawing...

According to the solutions it is not θ' as shown in my diagram, but I do not know of another way to represent it graphically. I simply cannot understand what is going on in the equations.

First of all try to understand directions i denotes in the right direction x-axis and j to positive y(upwards) hece all ur movements are in y are downwards hence negative j.
now it makes θ angle with horizontal so cos θ is positive i direction and Sinθ of that vector point downwards it becomes negative j as per their axis so here vb/r represents velocity of boat wrt river (when river is not flowing) to calculate total velocity of body vb u have to add velocity of river vr to it which is -2 (going downwards).
u do 1 thing reverse j direction downwards and solve eqns again it will give u a more clear idea

I understood this part, what I do not understand is vb = vb sin(45)i - vb cos(45)j

sin(45) = opposite / adjacent = j/i

therefore, adjacent * sin (45) = opposite, but opposite is supposed to be in the j direction opposing the above equation ..
Similarly for cos(45) can be seen.. (should be in the i direction)

You have a good point there. Apparently they count the 45 degrees from the point of view of B: angle between line of sight to A and the shore. Somewhat inconsistent compared to ##\theta##. Nothing wrong with that, but they would have done better if they had at least mentioned that choice. Of course it doesn't make a difference because of this particular 45 degree value.

Related to Kinematics Book Question -- Rowing a boat across a river at an angle

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics applied to rowing a boat across a river at an angle?

In this scenario, kinematics can be used to analyze the motion of the boat and determine its position, velocity, and acceleration as it moves across the river at an angle.

3. What factors affect the path of the boat when rowing across a river at an angle?

The velocity of the boat, the velocity of the river current, and the angle at which the boat is rowed all affect the path of the boat as it moves across the river.

4. How can the velocity of the boat in still water be calculated?

The velocity of the boat in still water can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the hypotenuse represents the velocity of the boat and the adjacent and opposite sides represent the velocity of the river current and the velocity of the boat relative to the river current, respectively.

5. How does the angle at which the boat is rowed affect the time it takes to cross the river?

The angle at which the boat is rowed affects the time it takes to cross the river because it determines the distance the boat must travel and therefore the overall displacement and velocity of the boat.