Kinematic Problem: Finding Average and Instantaneous Velocity

• Thread starter hotshot1kille
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, an airplane maintains a constant acceleration of 4.0m/s^2 as it speeds up from 16m/s [E] to 28 m/s [E]. The average velocity is 22 m/s and the instantaneous velocity is equal to the average velocity for the interval 3.0 s after the acceleration begins.
hotshot1kille

Homework Statement

An airplane maintains a constant acceleration of 4.0m/s^2 as it speeds up from 16m/s [E] to 28 m/s [E].

A what is the average velocity?

b) how long does the airplane accelerate?

c) when is the instantaneous velocity equal to the average velocity for the interval?

a= 4.0 m/s^2

vi= 16m/s [E]
vf= 28m/s[E]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the answer to A and B

Average velocity = 22 m/s. Total time = 3.0 s

I don't know how instantaneous velocity is related to average velocity for the interval. Or how to find the answer. Someone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you found the average velocity to be 22m/s it is asking when the instantaneous velocity is 22m/s which should just be V = vi + at

Ok got it thanks :)

hotshot1kille said:

Homework Statement

An airplane maintains a constant acceleration of 4.0m/s^2 as it speeds up from 16m/s [E] to 28 m/s [E].

c) when is the instantaneous velocity equal to the average velocity for the interval?

a= 4.0 m/s^2

vi= 16m/s [E]
vf= 28m/s[E]

Homework Equations

I don't know how instantaneous velocity is related to average velocity for the interval. Or how to find the answer. Someone help me?

When are the two numerically equal?

Suppose you accelerated away from traffic lights for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds you may have reached quite a high speed, but your average speed will be less than that. At some time during the 10 seconds, the speedo will have shown a speed that just happens to equal your average speed [you won't have realized at the time, since you need the full trip to calculate your average speed]. When was that time?

ahh ok thank you so much!

hotshot1kille said:

Homework Statement

a= 4.0 m/s^2

vi= 16m/s [E]
vf= 28m/s[E]

Homework Equations

btw; Part C of this problem is a learning exercise, so that in future you will know the bit I highlighted red.

ok thank you

Related to Kinematic Problem: Finding Average and Instantaneous Velocity

1. What is a simple kinematic problem?

A simple kinematic problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of an object without taking into account the forces that may be acting on it. It usually involves finding the object's displacement, velocity, or acceleration based on given information.

2. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces involved, while dynamics is the study of motion taking into account the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics focuses on describing the motion itself, while dynamics focuses on explaining the causes of the motion.

3. How do you solve a simple kinematic problem?

To solve a simple kinematic problem, you need to first identify the known and unknown variables, such as initial and final position, velocity, and time. Then, you can use the appropriate kinematic equations, such as the equations for constant acceleration or the equations for uniform circular motion, to solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are some common examples of simple kinematic problems?

Common examples of simple kinematic problems include finding the distance traveled by a car, the height of a ball thrown in the air, or the velocity of a skateboarder going down a ramp. These problems involve motion without considering the forces involved.

5. Why is it important to understand simple kinematic problems?

Understanding simple kinematic problems is important because it allows us to describe and predict the motion of objects in our everyday lives. It also serves as the building blocks for more complex physics problems and helps us understand the fundamental principles of motion and mechanics.