Kinematic Equations for Acceleration: Solving Problems with Changing Velocities

In summary, the conversation is about a 1st year physics student in the 11th grade struggling with a problem involving a car's acceleration. The student is using the equation v=v.+a(t) to solve for t, but is getting the wrong answer due to incorrect unit conversions. They are advised to convert the given velocities from miles per hour to meters per second in order to get the correct answer.
krazykaci
Im a 1st year physics student in the 11th grade. I haven't had much trouble with the assignment, but for some reason i cannot get the correct solution on this problem.

A certain car is capable of accelerating at a rate of 0.57 m/s2. How long does it take for this car to go from a speed of 53 m/h to a speed of 68 m/h? Anser in units of s.

I would assume that the correct kinematic equation to use would be v=v.+a(t) if .57 is the acceleration/ 53 is v./ and 68 is v..., but when I do that I get the wrong answer, if you could help and tell me what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it! =)

~kaci

Physics news on Phys.org
re-write that equation using algebra to solve for t. Becareful of your units. Your vi and vf are given in meters per hour, but your acceleration is given in meters / s2. You want your answer to be in seconds.

You have the right equation. What answer are you getting? Maybe you're not converting from mph to m/s?

im getting 26. 31578947. so would i divide that number by 120? I am not wery good at doing unit conversions.

I get that answer if I do (68-53) / .57

So your problem is the units. 68 and 53 are in m/h and .57 is in m/s2

Don't confuse meters with miles. Re-read the question. I'd find it surprising that they'd give you a problem where the car's initial and final velocities are about the speed with which an ant crawls. Should it really take the car a full hour to drive half the length of a football field?

Check your using the right unit conversions. Is the acceleration in meter per second^2? Is your velocity miles per hour or meters per hour? This would change your answer alot.

It's best to convert the velocities you're given. 1 mile is 1.6 km. You should be able to get velocities in metres/s, then use v=v.+at.

Related to Kinematic Equations for Acceleration: Solving Problems with Changing Velocities

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are mathematical formulas that can be used to describe the motion of an object. They involve variables such as displacement, time, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What types of problems can be solved using kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations can be used to solve problems involving the motion of an object, such as finding an object's displacement, velocity, or acceleration at a certain time, or finding the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance.

3. How many kinematic equations are there?

There are five kinematic equations, also known as the SUVAT equations, which represent the five variables used to describe motion: S (displacement), U (initial velocity), V (final velocity), A (acceleration), and T (time).

4. What are the units for the variables in kinematic equations?

The units for the variables in kinematic equations are as follows: displacement (meters or m), initial and final velocity (meters per second or m/s), acceleration (meters per second squared or m/s^2), and time (seconds or s).

5. How do you know which kinematic equation to use in a problem?

The kinematic equation to use will depend on the information given in the problem and what is being solved for. For example, if the initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration are known, the equation V = U + AT can be used to solve for displacement. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem to determine which equation to use.