Kepler's Laws, two large bodies

In summary, the question asks for the radius of the star's orbit around the black hole, but does not provide an equation or a method for solving for the radius.
bbbl67
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Here is something that some one asked me, as their homework question, and it stumped me.

A star is seen orbiting a black hole. The black hole's mass is 6.0E30 kg (approx, 3 solar masses). The star has an orbital period of 2.4 hours. The questions are:

(A) What is the star’s orbital radius in meters?
(B) What is the star’s orbital speed in m/s?

For #A, they were given the answer to be 5.7E8 m. But they couldn't match how they got that answer. My feeling is since it's a stellar mass black hole and a star, the two objects are relatively close in mass to each other, so you can't use the simplified Kepler equations, you have to use the general Kepler equations:

T2 = (4 Π2 r3)/(G (M1 + M2))

But I'm not sure about how to solve this, given that there are two unknowns here, the orbital radius, and the mass of the star. How do you go about solving for the star mass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot determine the mass, the radius or anything else without additional assumptions. As the question asks for radius, I guess you have to make some assumption about the star's mass.

mfb said:
You cannot determine the mass, the radius or anything else without additional assumptions. As the question asks for radius, I guess you have to make some assumption about the star's mass.
That's what I figured, but I thought I might be missing something. Maybe an assumed equation that let's you simultaneously solve both variables together?

The star is just at the Roche limit? That would give an interesting question.
The star is our sun?
The star is very light compared to the black hole?

I don't know.

Related to Kepler's Laws, two large bodies

What are Kepler's Laws?

Kepler's Laws are a set of three laws that describe the motion of two large bodies, such as planets, in orbit around each other. These laws were developed by astronomer Johannes Kepler in the 17th century.

What is Kepler's First Law?

Kepler's First Law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that the orbit of a planet around the sun is an ellipse with the sun at one of the two foci. This means that the distance between the planet and the sun varies throughout its orbit.

What is Kepler's Second Law?

Kepler's Second Law, also known as the Law of Equal Areas, states that a line that connects a planet to the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal amounts of time. This means that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This means that planets closer to the sun have shorter orbital periods compared to those farther away.

How do Kepler's Laws apply to other systems besides the solar system?

Kepler's Laws can be applied to any two large bodies in orbit around each other, not just in the solar system. They have been used to study the motion of moons around planets, binary stars, and even galaxies. Kepler's Laws are fundamental principles that govern the motion of all objects in the universe.