Keplar's First Law: Explaining Orbit and Eccentricity

In summary, there is a proof for why stars orbit the center of gravity and it is derived from Newton's Law of Gravitation. The derivations and proofs are available online and it is a common exercise for students to learn how to use google to find them. The equation to measure eccentricity of the orbit, e^2=1+(2E(L^2))/(GM(m^2)), is also derived from Newton's Law of Gravitation and there are links available to show the derivation. In a two mass system, each object orbits the center of mass in an ellipse, but from the perspective of one of the masses, the other object also appears to orbit in an ellipse.
Luca 123
I know that Keplar's First law is true, but it doesn't occur to me why do stars orbit the center of gravity. Is there a proof for that, or a way for me to visualise why?
Also, to measure the eccentricity of the orbit, e^2=1+(2E(L^2))/(GM(m^2)). How did they derive this equation?

Science news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
The answer to both your questions is the same: derive from Newton's Law of Gravitation.
Then how exactly did we derive them? Is there some links available showing the derivation? Or if you are willing to, maybe you can show me how?

Then how exactly did we derive them? Is there some links available showing the derivation? Or if you are willing to, maybe you can show me how?
"We" didn't derive them - I did, but you need to ... it is a common and worthwhile exercise for students.
There are plenty of derivations and proofs online - it is also a wortwhile exercise to lear to use google to find this sort of thing.

The first should be sensible to you anyway - consider: if both objects have equal masses, then how else would they behave?

The second one I gave you in a link in post #2 (while you were writing #3 :) ) as an example.
I found it by using the seach term "orbit eccentricity from energy".

For a two mass system, each orbits the center of mass in an ellipse but from the frame of one of the masses the other one orbits in an ellipse (albeit a different one) as well.

Please. "Kepler's".

Likes Drakkith

Related to Keplar's First Law: Explaining Orbit and Eccentricity

What is Kepler's First Law?

Kepler's First Law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that all planets move in elliptical orbits around the sun, with the sun at one of the two foci of the ellipse.

How did Kepler discover this law?

Johannes Kepler, a German astronomer, discovered this law in the early 17th century while analyzing observations made by his predecessor Tycho Brahe. He noticed that the paths of the planets did not follow perfect circles, but rather elliptical shapes.

What is the significance of this law?

Kepler's First Law helped to support the heliocentric model of the solar system, which states that the sun is at the center and the planets revolve around it. It also provided a mathematical understanding of planetary motion and paved the way for future discoveries in astronomy.

What is meant by "eccentricity" in this law?

Eccentricity is a measure of how circular or elliptical an orbit is. A value of 0 represents a perfect circle, while a value closer to 1 represents a more elongated ellipse. Kepler's First Law states that the eccentricity of a planet's orbit remains constant, meaning it does not change over time.

Does Kepler's First Law apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, Kepler's First Law applies to all objects that orbit around a central body, whether it be a star, planet, or moon. This law helps to explain the orbital paths of not only planets in our solar system, but also comets, asteroids, and other celestial bodies.