Justify matrices form basis for SO(4)

In summary, the given set of 4x4 matrices forms a basis for the Lie Algebra of the group SO(4). To justify this, they must be real matrices with AA^{T}=\mathbb{I} and detA = +-1. This is because the matrices are elements of a Lie algebra and the defining conditions for the group are A+A^T=0 and tr(A)=0. To show that they form a basis, it must be shown that they are linearly independent and span the entire vector space of the Lie Algebra. This can be done by counting the dimension of the vector space and showing that the matrices are a linear combination of the basis vectors. The matrices can also be written as a linear combination
OhNoYaDidn't
I am given the following set of 4x4 matrices. How can i justify that they form a basis for the Lie Algebra of the group SO(4)? I know that they must be real matrices, and [itex]AA^{T}=\mathbb{I}[/itex], and the [itex]detA = +-1.[/itex] Do i show that the matrices are linearly independent, verify these properties, and so they are a basis? Why are they 6 elements?

[tex]
_{A_1}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0& -1 &0 &0 \\
0& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
,\\
\
_{A_2}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &-1 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1& 0 &0 &0 \\
0& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

,\\

_{A_3}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &-1 &0 &0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 &0 &0 \\
0& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
\\
_{B_1}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &-1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 &0 &0 \\
1& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

,\\

_{B_2}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1 \\
0& 0 &0 &0 \\
0& 1& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

,\\

_{B_3}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 &0 &1 \\
0& 0& -1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
OhNoYaDidn't said:
I am given the following set of 4x4 matrices. How can i justify that they form a basis for the Lie Algebra of the group SO(4)? I know that they must be real matrices, and [itex]AA^{T}=\mathbb{I}[/itex], and the [itex]detA = +-1.[/itex] Do i show that the matrices are linearly independent, verify these properties, and so they are a basis? Why are they 6 elements?

[tex]
_{A_1}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0& -1 &0 &0 \\
0& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
,\\
\
_{A_2}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &-1 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1& 0 &0 &0 \\
0& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

,\\

_{A_3}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &-1 &0 &0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 &0 &0 \\
0& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
\\
_{B_1}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &-1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 &0 &0 \\
1& 0& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

,\\

_{B_2}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1 \\
0& 0 &0 &0 \\
0& 1& 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

,\\

_{B_3}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 &0 &1 \\
0& 0& -1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

[/tex]
I get the impression you confuse the special orthogonal group ##SO(4)## and its Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{so}(4)##. At least on the level of their defining conditions. Your matrices are elements of a Lie algebra, whereas neither is invertible ##(AA^T=\mathbb{1})## nor is of determinant ##\pm 1##, which are the conditions for the group. In the Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{so}(4)## the defining conditions are ##A+A^T=0## and ##tr(A)=0##.

And, yes, to form a basis they have to be linear independent, which therefore has to be shown. I think this will be easier if you write them as ##\delta_{ij}-\delta_{ji}##. To show they form a basis, you also have to show that they span the entire vector space of ##\mathfrak{so}(4)##, which could easiest be done by counting the dimension: How many matrix entries are there for matrices in ##\mathbb{M}_\mathbb{R}(4)## and how many linear equations, conditions does this system have?

Last edited:
Likes OhNoYaDidn't
fresh_42 said:
I get the impression you confuse the special orthogonal group ##SO(4)## and its Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{so}(4)##. At least on the level of their defining conditions. Your matrices are elements of a Lie algebra, whereas neither is invertible ##(AA^T=\mathbb{1})## nor is of determinant ##\pm 1##, which are the conditions for the group. In the Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{so}(4)## the defining conditions are ##A+A^T=0## and ##tr(A)=0##.

And, yes, to form a basis they have to be linear independent, which therefore has to be shown. I think this will be easier if you write them as ##\delta_{ij}-\delta_{ji}##. To show they form a basis, you also have to show that they span the entire vector space of ##\mathfrak{so}(4)##, which could easiest be done by counting the dimension: How many matrix entries are there for matrices in ##\mathbb{M}_\mathbb{R}(4)## and how many linear equations, conditions does this system have?
Thank you, fresh_42. I'm new to the subject, things are still a little confusing.
So, we know that a ##\mathbb{M}_\mathbb{R}(4)## matrix has 16 entries, but since ##A=-A^T##, we can get rid of the elements of the upper or lower triangular part of our matrix: hence subtracting ## N(N+1)/2## from ##N^2##, so now we need ##n=N^2-N(N+1)/2=N(N-1)/2## elements for this basis, which is exactly what i wanted to understand.
To show that they are linearly independent, i simply write them as a linear combination, multiplying them by constants: a, b, c, d, e, f, respectively, and prove ##a=b=c=d=e=f=0##.

What do you mean by writing them as ##\delta_{ij}-\delta_{ji}##.?

OhNoYaDidn't said:
What do you mean by writing them as ##\delta_{ij}-\delta_{ji}##.?
The matrices ##A,B## above are all of the form ##\delta_{ij}-\delta_{ji}## where ##\delta_{ij}## is a matrix with exactly one ##1## in the ##i-##th row and ##j-##th column and ##0## elsewhere. They are also written as ##E_{ij}, e_{ij}## or ##\mathfrak{e}_{ij}## or similar as they are the standard basis vectors like ##(0,\ldots,1,\ldots,0) \in \mathbb{R}^n##. To chose ##E_{ij}## is probably preferable over the ##\delta## notation, because it saves the ##\delta## for pairs of integers as usual; my fault, sorry.)

It is almost obvious by itself, that the matrices above are linear independent, since all non-zero entries are all in different positions so they cannot cancel each other out. The advantage of the notation as ##E_{ij}-E_{ji}## becomes important if you start multiplying them: ##E_{ij}\cdot E_{mn}=\delta_{jm}E_{in} ##, i.e. match the inner indices and take the outer as the new ones; zero if the inner indices don't match.

A set B of vectors (in this case matrices) is a basis of a vector space V if and only if any element of V can be written as a linear combination of the elements of B (i.e. B spans V) and the elements of B are linearly independent.

In order to show that B spans V=##\mathfrak so(4)##, you can simply find the general expression for an arbitrary element A of ##\mathfrak so(4)## using the "defining conditions" that fresh_42 referred (A is traceless and ##A=-A^\dagger##). If you do this, you will be able to write this matrix A as a linear combiantion of the matrices you wrote, so they span V.

In order to show that the elements of B are linearly independent, you can write a general linear combination of them, set it equal to zero, and solve the resulting equation: you will see that all coefficients must be zero, and this by definition tells you that B is linearly independent.

Likes OhNoYaDidn't
Thank you guys, i got it :)

Related to Justify matrices form basis for SO(4)

1. How are matrices used to justify the basis for SO(4)?

Matrices are used to represent transformations in three-dimensional space. The group SO(4) consists of all orthogonal matrices with determinant 1, which represent rotations and reflections in four-dimensional space. By showing that a set of matrices forms a basis for SO(4), we are demonstrating that they can be used to express any rotation or reflection in four dimensions.

2. What is the significance of SO(4) in mathematics and science?

SO(4) is an important group in mathematics and science because it represents the symmetries of four-dimensional space. This group is used in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and general relativity, and has applications in computer graphics and robotics.

3. How do we know that the matrices form a basis for SO(4)?

In order for a set of matrices to form a basis for a group, they must satisfy two conditions: they must span the group, meaning that any element of the group can be expressed as a linear combination of the matrices, and they must be linearly independent, meaning that no matrix in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. By satisfying these conditions, we can prove that the matrices form a basis for SO(4).

4. Can the basis for SO(4) be used to represent rotations in higher dimensions?

Yes, the basis for SO(4) can be extended to higher dimensions to represent rotations in n-dimensional space, where n is any positive integer. This is because the basis matrices for SO(4) can be generalized to any dimension, and the same principles of spanning and linear independence apply.

5. Are there other bases for SO(4) besides matrices?

Yes, there are other bases for SO(4) besides matrices. For example, the group can also be represented using quaternions, which are a type of hypercomplex number. However, matrices are a commonly used and well-studied basis for SO(4) that have many practical applications in mathematics and science.