Justify an equality involving hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series

In summary, the conversation involves someone trying to justify a series of equalities, utilizing the Euler identity and complex Fourier series. They are unsure if they made a mistake in their approach and are seeking advice on how to simplify the integral involved. They also consider using a trick with fractions and expanding cotx in a Taylor's series. The problem is located in the Fourier Series chapter and involves finding a complex Fourier of cosh.
Emspak

Homework Statement

The problem:

Justify the following equalities:
[tex]\cot x = i\coth (ix) = i \sum^\infty_{n=-\infty} \frac{ix}{(ix)^2+(n\pi)^2}=\sum^\infty_{n=-\infty}\frac{x}{x^2+(n\pi)^2}[/tex]

I am trying to figure out how to start this. When I insert the Euler identity of [itex]
\coth[/itex] (using the formula for complex Fourier series) I end up with: [tex]c_n = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\frac{e^{x} + e^{-x}}{e^{x} - e^{-x}}e^{inx} \ dx = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\frac{e^{(1+in)x} + e^{-(1+in)x}}{e^{x} - e^{-x}} \ dx[/tex]

which is one ugly integral. So my question is a) did I make a mistake in the starting point and b) can this integral be simplified in some way that's better? Or is there some stupidly silly pattern I should be recognizing here? (I considered treating the integral as [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} \frac{u}{du}[/itex] or something like it).

I suspect I am missing something obvious.

Thanks for any help. This one I think involves doing out a complex Fourier series for cosh or sinh, which might be simpler. But I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a thought. Are you familiar with breaking up a fraction like ##\frac{A + B} {C + D}##? Just say ## \frac {x}{C} + \frac {y}{D}## = ##\frac{A + B} {C + D}##. On the left side, add up the two fractions as you did in elementary school and solve for x and y.

If you do that to your integrand, you will wind up with the sum of two exponentials, and I think you can just integrate it. Whether that trick gets you to the right series I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

I'm also a little worried about your summations -- when you multiply through by i don't you get a -x in the numerator?

Finally -- are you sure this is a Fourier series problem? Is it in that chapter of some book? I am not above expanding cotx in a Taylor's series and seeing if that can be kicked around to get what you need.

It's in the Fourier Series chapter, and the section on complex Fouriers, so presumably they want something like that. There's an earlier problem in the group where they tell you to get a complex Fourier of cosh, and that would be used here, but I am not entirely sure how that would work.

Related to Justify an equality involving hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series

1. What is hyperbolic cosine and how is it related to Fourier series?

Hyperbolic cosine (cosh) is a mathematical function that is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle with a hyperbolic angle. It is related to Fourier series through a specific identity, known as the Euler's formula, which relates the complex exponential function to trigonometric functions. This allows us to express the Fourier series in terms of hyperbolic cosine functions.

2. Can you explain the concept of "justifying an equality" in this context?

In mathematics, justifying an equality means providing a logical proof or explanation for why two mathematical expressions or equations are equal. In the context of hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series, this would involve using mathematical techniques and identities to show that the equality between the two is valid and holds true.

3. What is the significance of using hyperbolic cosine in Fourier series?

Hyperbolic cosine functions provide an alternative approach to representing periodic functions through Fourier series. This can be useful in certain situations where hyperbolic functions are better suited for analysis or when dealing with complex-valued functions. Additionally, the relationship between hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series can also be used to derive other important mathematical identities and results.

4. How is the equality involving hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series used in practical applications?

The equality between hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It allows for the analysis and synthesis of periodic functions and signals, which is crucial in understanding and manipulating various systems and phenomena. It is also used in solving differential equations and in the study of heat transfer and vibrations.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to be aware of when justifying an equality involving hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series?

As with any mathematical concept, there are certain limitations and assumptions to be aware of when justifying an equality involving hyperbolic cosine and Fourier series. These may include constraints on the domain and range of the functions, as well as assumptions about the convergence of the series. It is important to carefully consider these factors and ensure that the conditions for the equality are satisfied in order for the justification to be valid.