Just how long is the ATLAS detector?

In summary, the ATLAS detector is approximately 46m long according to the ATLAS website and 44m long according to other references. There may be slight discrepancies due to different measurements and definitions of the detector components.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
A question that actually makes me laugh, but ... how long is the ATLAS Detector?
Based on the ATLAS page here: http://atlas.cern/discover/detector the detector is 46m long.
Based on references like here: http://arxiv.org/pdf/0910.3081.pdf the detector is 44m long.
I wouldn't have asked this if I didn't read in my text that ATLAS is 46m long but saw in my figure [taken from the above reference, but pretty much distributed around ] that it was 44m.
I wonder who is going to come and say "let's say 45m"

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably just a difference between the detector path length and the overall physical size?

Hmm, no that can't be it...

https://inspirehep.net/record/878496/files/figures_AtlasDetectorLabelled.png
figures_AtlasDetectorLabelled.png

Depends on where exactly you measure, and which part of the services you count as part of the detector. Or maybe one of the numbers is just outdated.

While this is not the last muon chamber, consider this picture for example: where exactly does the detector components end? At the last sensitive element? At the last cable that goes from A to B within the detector? At the handrails?

Likes vanhees71

Related to Just how long is the ATLAS detector?

1. How big is the ATLAS detector?

The ATLAS detector is approximately 46 meters long, 25 meters in diameter, and weighs around 7,000 tons.

2. What is the purpose of the ATLAS detector?

The ATLAS detector is part of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN and is used to study the results of particle collisions to gain a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter.

3. How long did it take to build the ATLAS detector?

The construction of the ATLAS detector took over 10 years, with contributions from over 3000 scientists and engineers from around the world.

4. How does the size of the ATLAS detector compare to other particle detectors?

The ATLAS detector is one of the largest particle detectors in the world, with a total volume of 12,000 cubic meters. It is significantly larger than the other detectors at the LHC, such as CMS and LHCb.

5. How is the size of the ATLAS detector beneficial to its research?

The size of the ATLAS detector allows for a wide coverage of particle collisions and enables the detection of a larger range of particles and their properties, leading to more comprehensive research and discoveries in the field of particle physics.