(Just checking) What's the total resistance?

In summary, it seems like you need to move the bottom of R5 to the bottom of R6. Repeat with R3 and R2. Draw the new circuit.
Special One
Homework Statement
Total R AB
Relevant Equations
Ohm's Law
Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 23.12.25.png
IMG_14A90D623C5E-1.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's O.K.

Wow, what an annoying problem to be given.

Guys, I have never learned how to solve this kind of problem, Anyways I gave it a go and here's my answer. Can anyone correct me?
Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 01.21.58.png
Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 01.24.31.png

Your good. No correction necessary.
Recognize that those crossed resistors could have been just drawn in parallel with the others. It's a stupid trick to make the problem look harder than it is. This is like your first problem, but with less stuff.
In my job with more complex circuits, I would often make the first step be "redraw the schematic to look simpler".
Anyway, it looks like you've got the basic concept. Just keep reducing the complexity of the network by combining resistors.

Likes Special One
R35 is wrong. R3 and R5 aren't in parallel. I suggest moving the bottom of of R5 to the bottom of R6. Repeat with R3 and R2. Draw the new circuit.

Gordianus said:
R35 is wrong. R3 and R5 aren't in parallel. I suggest moving the bottom of of R5 to the bottom of R6. Repeat with R3 and R2. Draw the new circuit.

Do you mean like this?

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 02.07.39.png

No, don't move the top of R5, just move its bottom until it touches the bottom of R6

Gordianus said:
No, don't move the top of R5, just move its bottom until it touches the bottom of R6

I really didn't get it yet, do you mind drawing it for me please?

Can't draw with my phone. Follow my instructions. Keep the top of R5 at the junction of R4, R6 and R7. Noe move the bottom of R5 to the bottom of R6.

DaveE said:
Recognize that those crossed resistors could have been just drawn in parallel with the others. It's a stupid trick to make the problem look harder than it is.
I completely disagree. It is exactly the kind of drawing that is given, and needs to be given, specifically to get beginners to learn how to recognize series and parallel elements.

Gordianus said:
Can't draw with my phone. Follow my instructions. Keep the top of R5 at the junction of R4, R6 and R7. Noe move the bottom of R5 to the bottom of R6.

you mean like this?
Scanned Documents 1.jpg

Likes Tom.G
Now I like it.

phinds said:
I completely disagree. It is exactly the kind of drawing that is given, and needs to be given, specifically to get beginners to learn how to recognize series and parallel elements.
OK, as a lesson in learning to read poorly drawn schematics, which they will surely encounter later. That seems like a worthwhile (but kind of annoying) vocational lesson, but not a great way to teach fundamental concepts.

I believe, after decades of working as an EE, that I can tell if you really understand electronics by how you draw your schematics; like reading tea leaves, I guess.

Gordianus said:
Now I like it.

Now, Are R4 & R6 in parallel?? the same thing with R2 & R3.

DaveE said:
I believe, after decades of working as an EE, that I can tell if you really understand electronics by how you draw your schematics; like reading tea leaves, I guess.
Of course you can. But beginners DON'T understand it and they need to learn and this kind of thing teaches them. Perhaps you. like I, had a facility for this stuff right out of the gate but lots of EE students don't.

Related to (Just checking) What's the total resistance?

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is measured in units called ohms (Ω).

2. How is total resistance calculated?

Total resistance is calculated by adding the individual resistances in a series circuit or by using the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals in a parallel circuit.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the material of the object, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with higher resistivity, longer lengths, and smaller cross-sectional areas have higher resistance. Resistance also increases with an increase in temperature.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of resistance?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance due to the branching of current.

5. How does resistance impact the flow of electric current?

Higher resistance means there is less flow of electric current. This is because resistance reduces the amount of current that can flow through a circuit. Inversely, lower resistance allows for a greater flow of current.