Joint Reaction Force: Estimate Net Moment & Force Vector in Right Knee

In summary, a dancer weighing 55 kg is standing on his left leg with his right leg extended backwards, with the knee and torso extended and arms outstretched horizontally. The length of the thigh is 35 cm and the shank is 45 cm. To calculate the net joint moment in the right knee, the Dempster table is used to determine the shank's proximal segment length, resulting in a clockwise direction of 49.8 Nm. However, it is unclear how to calculate the joint reaction force as it is horizontal and there is no apparent ground reaction force involved. A free body diagram would provide more information.
Luiz

Homework Statement

A dancer stands on his left leg (knee extended), torso and arms forwards outstretched horizontally. The right leg (knee extended) is backwards outstretched horizontally. The dancer weighs 55 kg. The length of the thigh is 35 cm, the shank 45 cm.
Draw the free body diagram.
Estimate the net joint moment and the net reaction force vector in the right knee. Neglect the foot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can estimate the net joint moment in the right knee as follows: From Dempster table: shank 0.0465 * 55kg = 2.5575 kg. The proximal segment length of the shank is 0.433 * 45cm = 19.485cm (Dempster). Now I can calculate the net moment of the right knee: 2.5575kg * 19.485cm = -49.8 Nm , as it is a clockwise direction. The joint moment must be anticlockwise so it is 49.8 Nm.

I have no idea how to calculate the joint reaction force because it is horizontal and I can not see that a ground reaction force is involved.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Luiz said:
I have no idea how to calculate the joint reaction force because it is horizontal and I can not see that a ground reaction force is involved.
How did you figure out that the joint force is horizontal? If gravity is the only force acting on the dancer, there is no horizontal force that might require static friction at the foot contact. Providing the free body diagram would be helpful.

Likes Delta2

Related to Joint Reaction Force: Estimate Net Moment & Force Vector in Right Knee

1. What is joint reaction force?

Joint reaction force is the force that occurs at a joint in response to external forces acting on the body. It is the result of the interaction between muscles, bones, and other tissues in the body.

2. How is joint reaction force calculated?

Joint reaction force is typically calculated using biomechanical analysis and mathematical equations. It takes into account the forces acting on the body, the position of the joint, and the mechanical properties of the joint.

3. Why is it important to estimate net moment and force vector in the right knee?

Estimating the net moment and force vector in the right knee can provide valuable information about the forces acting on the knee joint. This can help in understanding the mechanics of the knee joint and identifying potential sources of injury or dysfunction.

4. What factors can affect joint reaction force in the right knee?

Joint reaction force can be affected by various factors such as body weight, muscle strength, joint angle, and external forces. Other factors like age, gender, and physical activity level can also play a role.

5. How can joint reaction force be reduced or managed?

Joint reaction force can be reduced or managed through proper training and conditioning. Strengthening muscles around the joint, maintaining a healthy body weight, and avoiding movements or activities that put excessive stress on the joint can help reduce joint reaction force. Physical therapy and proper biomechanical analysis can also be helpful in managing joint reaction force.