Jobless NYC woman sues college for $70K in tuition

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, a woman in New York City is suing her college, Monroe College, for $70,000 in tuition because she has been unable to find a job since graduating with a degree in information technology. This lawsuit has gained attention and sparked humor among internet users.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This has to rank up there with the most ridiculous lawsuits. She paid $70,000 for a degree in IT? Why didn't she go to a vocational school?

Now that her name is public, I'm sure potential employers will be dying to hire someone that would file a frivolous lawsuit. :rolleyes:

NEW YORK — A New York City woman who says she can't find a job is suing the college where she earned a bachelor's degree.

Trina Thompson filed a lawsuit last week against Monroe College in Bronx Supreme Court. The 27-year-old is seeking the $70,000 she spent on tuition.

Thompson says she's been unable to find gainful employment since she received her information technology degree in April.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hOd5SMu_c48SwH6dYreQ4Cf7JNTQD99R312G0

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ever since I graduated, I've been working like a dog. Maybe I can sue for that.

I don't like studying. I'm suing for emotional distress and lost wages.

Lol that's hilarious i was wondering if this type of lawsuit had ever been filed just the other day actually. looks as if it has been.

Sorry! said:
i was wondering if this type of lawsuit had ever been filed just the other day actually. looks as if it has been.
It use to be a joke about Harvard law school's final exam - for extra credit, sue and get back your tuition.

Last edited:

Related to Jobless NYC woman sues college for $70K in tuition

1. What is the reason for the woman filing a lawsuit?

The woman claims that she was unable to find a job after graduating from the college and believes that her education did not prepare her for the workforce.

2. How much money is the woman suing for?

The woman is suing for $70,000 in tuition fees, which she believes should be refunded to her due to the lack of job opportunities after graduation.

3. What is the college's response to the lawsuit?

The college has not yet responded to the lawsuit, but they have stated that they stand by the quality of their education and their graduates' success in finding employment.

4. Has this type of lawsuit been filed before?

Yes, similar lawsuits have been filed in the past by students who feel that their education did not adequately prepare them for the job market.

5. What are the potential outcomes of this lawsuit?

The outcome of the lawsuit will depend on the evidence presented by both parties. The woman may receive a partial or full refund of her tuition fees if the court finds in her favor. Alternatively, the college may be found not liable and the lawsuit could be dismissed.