Job to Pursue while Majoring in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background as a non-traditional student majoring in astrophysics and working as a bicycle mechanic. They express their desire to find a science-related job while still pursuing their degree. The conversation also mentions the speaker's experience in data research/analysis and their friends' experiences in various science-related jobs, such as working in a lab or teaching. Salary and networking are also mentioned as important factors in finding a job in the science field. The speaker offers advice to network and highlight relevant skills when applying for jobs.
zoiberg137
I am a non traditional student, 28 year high school dropout, who is starting on my third year of college majoring in astrophysics with the intention of earning a minimum of a masters either in physics or engineering. I am also going on my 7th year as a bicycle mechanic. I used to love my job but have grown tired of it to say the least. I make 15 hourly with benefits and enough flexibility to earn full time salary while taking 2-4 classes per semester.

I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this but... are there any science related jobs that I might want to consider while I am still working towards my first degree? I am married and have a mortgage so I can't take much in the way of salary decrease...but I am desperate to get out of my current field of work asap. Is is emotionally draining to have become so bored with my job and I can't stand thinking about what else I might be accomplishing with these 8 hour work days.

Any thoughts or experience shared is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your area. Major research firms for industry are picky, and rightfully so. In my area, many friends worked for Bechtel, Life technologies, US Government jobs, and a few bio-processing firms (tests and such). I live near a major city (DC). So here, there just is a lot going on but the competition is fierce. Even with previous lab experience, I wasn't able to get a job in a lab. They wanted at the bare min. a B.S in a science related field plus experience. These jobs were for sample prep, basic lab work really. Nothing exciting!

I work in data research/analysis. What I do isn't directly related to science, however, it gives me skills that will nicely compliment my future education. At this job I had to work extensively with Excel, Access, sql, python. I had to learn quite a bit about financial modeling as well. In addition to that, I've learned the flow of an office work-space. How to meet deadlines, prepare proposals, impress your boss. All the good stuff. I've also learned a bit of marketing. So when I graduate with a degree in physics, and maybe can't find a job, I can always go back to finance. It'd be a stretch but I've networked myself into a nice little group of people, who I keep contact with.

As far as some of my friends, some were lucky. I know a few who worked (the company relocated) at an engineering firm. They were then paid to get their A.S in autocad training, which transferred well if you wanted to take an extra year for some of the engineering sub-fields. I have a few that teach at the college, myself included. I do groups of 10-20 students for pre-calc prep, test prep, and homework study. I also proctor tests.

Lastly, there were a lucky few who worked in a lab. Generally they networked and pushed their name around for some time. They mostly do the office work though. Keeping track of inventory, managing grant money, etc. Ordering new things. And they work in the cold; the freezer at one's work requires special gear to enter. He works in there for a few hours at a time.

Salary will depend on your area. For me, 12/hr is what I can command for my work. It certainly wouldn't pay for a house! Though those that worked in unpleasant lab conditions earned about at much as you do.

My advice to to network. Ask people, friends, professors. The online job applications are not all that great, because many people already have their foot in the door before they even send in a resume. You want to put yourself into that position.

You also want to ask yourself, "what skills can I bring to this job?"

No one wants to hear "I'm a quick learner" when they can hear "I know all the formal background training for this job"

Cheers!

Last edited:

Related to Job to Pursue while Majoring in Physics?

1. What types of jobs can I pursue with a major in Physics?

There are various job opportunities for individuals with a major in Physics. Some common job roles include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, science teacher, and scientific writer. Additionally, physics majors are also highly sought after in industries such as finance, technology, and consulting.

2. Is a career in Physics financially rewarding?

Yes, a career in Physics can be financially rewarding. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,850 in May 2020. However, the salary may vary depending on the specific job role, experience, and industry.

3. What skills do I need to excel in a Physics-related job?

To excel in a Physics-related job, you will need strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You should also possess a solid understanding of mathematical and scientific principles, as well as the ability to work with complex data and equipment. Additionally, strong communication skills and attention to detail are also essential in this field.

4. What further education or training should I consider for a career in Physics?

Many individuals with a major in Physics pursue further education, such as a master's or PhD, to advance their careers. Additionally, specialized training in areas such as computer programming, data analysis, or specific experimental techniques can also be beneficial. It is also important to stay updated with advancements and research in the field through professional development opportunities and conferences.

5. Are there any specific industries or fields where Physics majors are in high demand?

Physics majors are in high demand in various industries, including aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, and technology. With the increasing focus on renewable energy and advancements in technology, there is a growing need for individuals with a background in Physics. Additionally, the government and research institutions also have a high demand for physicists and other professionals with a strong understanding of physics principles.