Jeffrrey's question at Yahoo Answers regarding binomial expansion

In summary, we are given the expression \left(3x^2-\frac{t}{x} \right)^6 and told that the term independent of $x$ is equal to $2160$. By using the binomial theorem, we find this term to be equal to $15\cdot9\cdot t^4$. Solving for $t$ using the condition $t>0$, we find $t=2$.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Can someone help me please?

Question: The term independent of x in the expansion of ((3x^2) - (t/x))^6 is 2160.

Given that t > 0, find the value of t.

Solution so far:

Formula - (n r) ((x)^n-r) ((y)^r)

So:

(6 r) ((3x^2)^6-r) (-t/x)^r

However, I don't know where to go from here. I am supposed to get:

x^12-3r

and then from that I am supposed to get r = 4

and then t = 2

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Jeffrey,

We are given the expression:

\(\displaystyle \left(3x^2-\frac{t}{x} \right)^6\)

Using the binomial theorem, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \left(3x^2+\left(-\frac{t}{x} \right) \right)^6=\sum_{k=0}^6\left[{6 \choose k}\left(3x^2 \right)^{6-k}\left(-\frac{t}{x} \right)^k \right]\)

We may rewrite this as:

\(\displaystyle \left(3x^2+\left(-\frac{t}{x} \right) \right)^6=\sum_{k=0}^6\left[{6 \choose k}3^{6-k}(-t)^kx^{3(4-k)} \right]\)

Now, in order for a term to be independent of $x$, we require the exponent on $x$ to be zero, which occurs for:

\(\displaystyle 3(4-k)=0\implies k=4\)

We are told this term is equal to $2160$, hence we have:

\(\displaystyle {6 \choose 4}3^{6-4}(-t)^4x^{3(4-4)}=2160\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{6!}{4!(6-4)!}\cdot3^2\cdot t^4=2160\)

\(\displaystyle 15\cdot9\cdot t^4=2160\)

\(\displaystyle t^4=14=2^4\)

For real $0<t$ we then find:

\(\displaystyle t=2\)

Related to Jeffrrey's question at Yahoo Answers regarding binomial expansion

1. What is binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical process used to expand a binomial expression into a series of terms. It is also known as the binomial theorem and is used to simplify polynomial expressions.

2. How is binomial expansion used in real life?

Binomial expansion is used in various fields such as statistics, probability, and finance. It is used to calculate the probability of an event occurring multiple times, to model population growth, and to calculate compound interest in finance.

3. How does binomial expansion relate to the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution is a probability distribution that represents the number of successes in a sequence of independent trials. Binomial expansion is used to calculate the coefficients of the terms in the binomial distribution.

4. What is the formula for binomial expansion?

The formula for binomial expansion is (a + b)^n = a^n + na^(n-1)b + (n(n-1)/2!)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + b^n, where a and b are constants and n is a positive integer.

5. Can you give an example of binomial expansion in action?

Sure, let's say we want to expand (x + y)^3. Using the formula, we get (x + y)^3 = x^3 + 3x^2y + 3xy^2 + y^3. This gives us the expanded form of the binomial expression with the coefficients of each term.