Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt

In summary, many programmers seem to despise Schildt's books. One is usually directed to this page to make the point. Eckels' thinking in java is a good intro to Java, but if you already know OO and just want a Java for C++ programmers I don't know what I would recommend.
neutrino
Has anyone here used this book? If you have, how would you rate it.

To my surprise many programmers seem to despise Schildt's books. One is usually directed to this page to make the point.
I was surprised because I found his beginner's guide on C++ quite easy to read and understand. (And maybe it's because I don't have an extensive knowledge about the language to nitpick every sentence in a book. :rolleyes:)

I know the basics of a programming language...conditions, loops, and aspects of OOP, so I'm just looking for a book/primer that will teach me the syntax of Java and provide information about the numerous packages it comes with.

Technology news on Phys.org
Publishing a commentary on a standard where you misinterpret pretty much everything in the standard was bad. A lot of his other books are also based on earlier simpliied ideas of C which were plain wrong when the book was published.

I'm not sure what suddenly makes him qualiied to write a book on Java other than he is on the publishers books.

Bruce Eckels 'thinking in java' is a good intro to Java, but if you already know OO and just want a Java for C++ programmers I don't know what I would recommend. Probably an O'Reilly nutshell or 'programming in ...' book.

big java by cay horstmann

http://www.horstmann.com/bigjava.html

you can look at the tutorials at java website, they would be best for you

Thanks for the replies.

mgb_phys,
I'll check what O'Reilly has to offer.

rootX,
I can't find international editions of the books you mention, but the two-volume set that Horstmann has co-authored with Gary Cornell is available for thrice the price of Schildt's book.

re: Sun Java tutorials. While I do not shy away from R'ingTFM (online), I'd still like to have a book by my side. :)

Related to Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt

What is "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" all about?

"Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" is a comprehensive guide to the Java programming language. It covers all the essential topics, from basic syntax and data types to advanced concepts such as multithreading, networking, and database programming.

Who is the author of "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt"?

The author of "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" is Herbert Schildt, a renowned computer programmer and author with over three decades of experience in the industry. He has written numerous books on programming languages, including Java, C++, and C#.

Is "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" is suitable for beginners as well as experienced programmers. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics, making it an ideal resource for anyone looking to learn Java from scratch.

Does "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" cover the latest version of Java?

Yes, "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" covers the latest version of Java at the time of its publication. It also includes updates and changes from previous versions, making it a comprehensive reference for all versions of Java.

Are there any practice exercises or coding examples in "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt"?

Yes, "Java 2 The Complete Reference - Herbert Schildt" includes numerous coding examples and practice exercises to help readers reinforce their understanding of the concepts. It also provides real-world applications and case studies to demonstrate how Java is used in different industries.