Jacobson Radical and Rad(M) - Bland Corollary 6.1.3 ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary: Rad}(M) = \{ 0 \} when there exist maximal submodules in M, but their intersection is \{ 0 \}Now with J(R) Bland does not explicitly give a condition for which J(R) = R ... indeed his definition of the Jacobson radical is as follows:"... ... The Jacobson radical of R, denoted J(R), is the intersection of maximal right ideals of R. If J(R) = 0, then R is said to be a Jacobson
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with the proof of Corollary 6.1.3 ... Corollary 6.1.3 (including the preceding Proposition) reads as follows:

View attachment 6308

My questions are as follows:
Question 1

In the proof of Corollary 6.1.3 above we read:

"... ... Since \(\displaystyle R\) is generated by \(\displaystyle 1, J(R) \neq R\). ... ...
My question is as follows: why, given that \(\displaystyle R\) is generated by \(\displaystyle 1\), is it true that \(\displaystyle J(R) \neq R\) ... ... ?Question 2

Bland seems to argue that if we accept that \(\displaystyle J(R) \neq R\), then the Corollary is proved ... ... that is that

\(\displaystyle J(R) \neq R \Longrightarrow \text{ Rad}(M) \neq M\) ... ...

But ... why would this be true ...?Hope someone can help ... ... Peter
===========================================================================In order to give forum readers the notations, definitions and context of the above post, I am providing the first two pages of Chapter 6 of Bland ... ... as follows ... ... :
View attachment 6309
View attachment 6310

Physics news on Phys.org
Happy New Year, Peter!
Peter said:
Question 1

In the proof of Corollary 6.1.3 above we read:

"... ... Since \(\displaystyle R\) is generated by \(\displaystyle 1, J(R) \neq R\). ... ...
My question is as follows: why, given that \(\displaystyle R\) is generated by \(\displaystyle 1\), is it true that \(\displaystyle J(R) \neq R\) ... ... ?
Since maximal right ideals of $R$ don't contain $1$ by definition, then $J(R)$, the intersection of all maximal right deals, cannot contain $1$. That's why $J(R) \neq R$.
Peter said:
Question 2

Bland seems to argue that if we accept that \(\displaystyle J(R) \neq R\), then the Corollary is proved ... ... that is that

\(\displaystyle J(R) \neq R \Longrightarrow \text{ Rad}(M) \neq M\) ... ...

But ... why would this be true ...?
The paragraph proceeding Corollary 6.1.3 is not a proof of the Corollary.

Euge said:
Happy New Year, Peter!Since maximal right ideals of $R$ don't contain $1$ by definition, then $J(R)$, the intersection of all maximal right deals, cannot contain $1$. That's why $J(R) \neq R$.The paragraph proceeding Corollary 6.1.3 is not a proof of the Corollary.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Euge ... yes, obvious now ...Presumably the proof of Corollary 6.1.3 is simply that M, being finitely generated, has at least one maximal submodule, which is a proper submodule (as would any other submodules that exist in \(\displaystyle M\)) ... and so ... the intersection of the maximal submodules of \(\displaystyle M\) would again be a proper submodule ... ... so \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) \neq M\) ... ...

Is that correct?

Peter said:
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Euge ... yes, obvious now ...Presumably the proof of Corollary 6.1.3 is simply that M, being finitely generated, has at least one maximal submodule, which is a proper submodule (as would any other submodules that exist in \(\displaystyle M\)) ... and so ... the intersection of the maximal submodules of \(\displaystyle M\) would again be a proper submodule ... ... so \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) \neq M\) ... ...

Is that correct?

Peter
Hopefully someone can clarify the following:
Regarding the conditions \(\displaystyle J(R) = R\) and \(\displaystyle J(R) = 0\) ... ... ... ... I am still a little confused ...Now, regarding \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M)\) ... Bland is clear when it comes to \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) = M\) ... indeed Bland's definition of \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M)\) is as follows:"... ... If \(\displaystyle M\) is an \(\displaystyle R\)-module, then the radical of \(\displaystyle M\), denoted by \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M)\), is the intersection of the maximal submodules of \(\displaystyle M\). If \(\displaystyle M\) fails to have maximal submodules, then we set \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) = M\). ... ...
Presumably \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) = \{ 0 \}\) when there exist maximal submodules in \(\displaystyle M\), but their intersection is \(\displaystyle \{ 0 \}\)
Now with \(\displaystyle J(R)\) Bland does not explicitly give a condition for which \(\displaystyle J(R) = R\) ... indeed his definition of the Jacobson radical is as follows:"... ... The Jacobson radical of \(\displaystyle R\), denoted \(\displaystyle J(R)\), is the intersection of maximal right ideals of \(\displaystyle R\). If \(\displaystyle J(R) = 0\), then R is said to be a Jacobson semisimple ring ... ..."Is it correct to assume that if there are no maximal right ideals in \(\displaystyle R\), then \(\displaystyle J(R) = R\) ... ...

... ... and \(\displaystyle J(R) = 0\) if there do exist maximum right ideals but their intersection is \(\displaystyle \{ 0 \}\)
Can someone please confirm that my thinking is correct and/or point out any shortcomings or errors ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Last edited:
The point is unital rings always have maximal ideals, so you can always take intersection amongst them and $J(R)$ would be well-defined. In fact $J(R)$ is always a proper ideal (because maximal ideals are proper and intersection of a bunch of proper things is always going to give you a proper thing).

mathbalarka said:
The point is unital rings always have maximal ideals, so you can always take intersection amongst them and $J(R)$ would be well-defined. In fact $J(R)$ is always a proper ideal (because maximal ideals are proper and intersection of a bunch of proper things is always going to give you a proper thing).
Thanks for the help, mathbalarka ...

Appreciate your guidance and help

Peter

Peter said:

Is that correct?
Yes, that's correct.
Peter said:
Hopefully someone can clarify the following:
Regarding the conditions \(\displaystyle J(R) = R\) and \(\displaystyle J(R) = 0\) ... ... ... ... I am still a little confused ...Now, regarding \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M)\) ... Bland is clear when it comes to \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) = M\) ... indeed Bland's definition of \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M)\) is as follows:"... ... If \(\displaystyle M\) is an \(\displaystyle R\)-module, then the radical of \(\displaystyle M\), denoted by \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M)\), is the intersection of the maximal submodules of \(\displaystyle M\). If \(\displaystyle M\) fails to have maximal submodules, then we set \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) = M\). ... ...
Presumably \(\displaystyle \text{ Rad}(M) = \{ 0 \}\) when there exist maximal submodules in \(\displaystyle M\), but their intersection is \(\displaystyle \{ 0 \}\)
Now with \(\displaystyle J(R)\) Bland does not explicitly give a condition for which \(\displaystyle J(R) = R\) ... indeed his definition of the Jacobson radical is as follows:"... ... The Jacobson radical of \(\displaystyle R\), denoted \(\displaystyle J(R)\), is the intersection of maximal right ideals of \(\displaystyle R\). If \(\displaystyle J(R) = 0\), then R is said to be a Jacobson semisimple ring ... ..."Is it correct to assume that if there are no maximal right ideals in \(\displaystyle R\), then \(\displaystyle J(R) = R\) ... ...

... ... and \(\displaystyle J(R) = 0\) if there do exist maximum right ideals but their intersection is \(\displaystyle \{ 0 \}\)
Can someone please confirm that my thinking is correct and/or point out any shortcomings or errors ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter
Like I already explained, $J(R) \neq R$ as $R$ is a ring with unity. It is however possible for $J(R) = R$ if $R$ is a ring without unity.

A theorem of Melvin Henriksen states that a commutative ring has no maximal ideals if and only if $R = J(R)$ and $R^2 + pR = R$ for every integer prime $p$.

Regardless of whether or not $J(R) = 0$, if $R$ is a nonzero ring with unity, it has a maximal right ideal.

Euge said:
Yes, that's correct.

Like I already explained, $J(R) \neq R$ as $R$ is a ring with unity. It is however possible for $J(R) = R$ if $R$ is a ring without unity.

A theorem of Melvin Henriksen states that a commutative ring has no maximal ideals if and only if $R = J(R)$ and $R^2 + pR = R$ for every integer prime $p$.

Regardless of whether or not $J(R) = 0$, if $R$ is a nonzero ring with unity, it has a maximal right ideal.
Thanks Euge ...

Appreciate your help, as always ...

Peter

Related to Jacobson Radical and Rad(M) - Bland Corollary 6.1.3 ....

1. What is the Jacobson Radical?

The Jacobson Radical is a concept in abstract algebra that refers to the set of all elements in a ring that annihilate all other elements in the ring when multiplied. In other words, the Jacobson Radical is the set of all elements that have no nontrivial left or right inverse.

2. What is Rad(M)?

Rad(M) refers to the Jacobson Radical of a module M. Similar to the Jacobson Radical of a ring, it is the set of all elements in the module that annihilate all other elements when multiplied.

3. What is Bland Corollary 6.1.3?

Bland Corollary 6.1.3 is a theorem in abstract algebra that states that for a module M, the following are equivalent: 1) M is a semisimple module, 2) Rad(M) = 0, and 3) every submodule of M is a direct summand of M.

4. How is Bland Corollary 6.1.3 related to the Jacobson Radical?

Bland Corollary 6.1.3 is a corollary of the Jacobson Radical, as it is a statement about the properties and implications of the Jacobson Radical for modules. It provides a useful characterization of semisimple modules in terms of the Jacobson Radical.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Jacobson Radical and Bland Corollary 6.1.3?

The Jacobson Radical and Bland Corollary 6.1.3 have applications in various areas of mathematics, such as representation theory, algebraic geometry, and number theory. They also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. Additionally, they have been used in computer science and coding theory for error-correcting codes and cryptography.