Jack's Growth: From 90cm to 105cm in 1 Year

In summary, Jack's growth spurt of 15cm in one year can be attributed to a combination of genetics, nutrition, and exercise. While there is no "normal" rate of growth for children, it is not uncommon for them to experience growth spurts. It is difficult to predict if Jack will continue to grow at this rate, but his growth will eventually slow down and stop at his genetically predetermined height. Factors such as genetics, nutrition, exercise, and certain medical conditions can affect a child's growth. A sudden growth spurt is usually not a cause for concern, but it's always best to consult with a healthcare professional if you notice any other changes in a child's behavior or health.
Natasha1

Homework Statement

Emily's brother, Jack, is now 105cm tall, having grown by one sixth of his height a year ago. How tall was Jack one year ago?

Homework Equations

Now my teacher told me to do this:

x = 105 - (105/7)
x = 105 - 15
x = 90 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

So 90cm is the answer. But can someone explain to me very simply why we divided by 7 the 105 as the question says that Jack grew by one sixth and not by one seventh? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:

Homework Statement

Emily's brother, Jack, is now 105cm tall, having grown by one sixth of his height a year ago. How tall was Jack one year ago?

Homework Equations

Now my teacher told me to do this:

x = 105 - (105/7)
x = 105 - 15
x = 90 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

So 90cm is the answer. But can someone explain to me very simply why we divided by 7 the 105 as the question says that Jack grew by one sixth and not by one seventh? Many thanks.
Maybe looking at it a different first would help.

Let x be Jack's height one year ago.

Add x plus x/6 to get 105.

Solve for x:
##\displaystyle \ x+\frac{x}{6}=105 \ ##

Ahh,

So 7x = 105
x = 15

Natasha1 said:
Ahh,

So 7x = 105
x = 15
Actually it's more like:
##\displaystyle \ 7\left(\frac{x}{6}\right)=105 \ ,##​
so that
##\displaystyle \ \frac{x}{6}=\frac{105}7 \ ,##​
etc.

Related to Jack's Growth: From 90cm to 105cm in 1 Year

1. How did Jack grow 15cm in just one year?

There are a few factors that contribute to growth in children. One of the main factors is genetics, which determines the potential height a child can reach. Additionally, proper nutrition and exercise play a crucial role in promoting growth. It's possible that Jack's growth spurt was due to a combination of these factors.

2. Is it normal for a child to grow 15cm in one year?

Every child grows at their own pace, so there is no specific "normal" rate of growth. However, it is not uncommon for children to experience growth spurts during their early years. As long as Jack is healthy and within a healthy weight range, his growth rate is likely within the normal range.

3. Will Jack continue to grow at this rate?

It's difficult to predict exactly how much more Jack will grow, as it depends on his genetics and overall health. However, it is likely that he will continue to grow at a steady rate until he reaches his genetically predetermined height. After that, his growth will slow down and eventually stop.

4. Can anything slow down or speed up a child's growth?

As mentioned before, genetics, nutrition, and exercise are all factors that can affect a child's growth. Additionally, certain medical conditions or hormonal imbalances can also impact growth. It's important for children to have a balanced and healthy lifestyle to support proper growth and development.

5. Should I be concerned about Jack's sudden growth spurt?

In most cases, a sudden growth spurt is not a cause for concern. However, if you notice any other changes in Jack's behavior or health, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional. They can assess his overall health and determine if any further action is needed.