It's not there, go to the Web Hohoha

• Thread starter dijkarte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary, online textbooks can be adapted as science progresses, but they are usually more expensive than print textbooks.
dijkarte
Any idea why some textbooks especially those used in universities make some of their content available through the web, not included in the book? What's the point? I cannot see adding extra less than 100 pages an issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that I understand your question. However in general I can see a big disadvantage in paper textbooks. They age because science advances. Obviously more in some field than in others and newer and newer editions are required. And if you're not buying the newest edition, you may be learning the wrong things.

Online textbooks can be adapted as science progresses.

But I guess that wasn't the answer.

Sorry for not wording my question properly. I meant to ask that some chapters/sections of books are not included in the hard copy version, and readers have to go to the book's website to get the missing content. Though the content is listed in the book TOC, it's made available only online.

I'm guessing here, but it is true that most textbooks are bigger than they need to be for any single course. By making some chapters available online, the size of the book, and thus it's price and shipping cost are kept lower. I'm guessing that the online chapters could be considered "optional" or "extension" material. Again, it's only a guess.

I've got a copy of Modern Physics by Serway, Moses, and Moyer. It comes with a 3.5" floppy with some software on it. You can't follow some of the examples without the software and you can't do some of the problems. I don't have a floppy reader on my computer so I can't use it. I wish the material on that disk were available online.

Well makes sense to keep the cost lower than it would be with those extensions. But it's becoming a fashion all authors using it. I could name some books but I don't want to make them look bad...so I will stay general. One book is less than 500 pages yet it contains several chapters which I consider important to be there. The book in the end could be used in advanced courses, by non students as a reference...etc. Nonetheless the books is super expensive at least for its size.
My guess here the authors, which are professors, want the readers somehow to reach their websites, which are very likely universities' websites...sort of advertisement? Could be far from truth but I still cannot see how less than 10% of the book size will make the price much higher. It's already high.
I'm worried here because when knowledge becomes a business then it's in danger. Exactly like with any other product, the quality goes down.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I've got a copy of Modern Physics by Serway, Moses, and Moyer. It comes with a 3.5" floppy with some software on it. You can't follow some of the examples without the software and you can't do some of the problems. I don't have a floppy reader on my computer so I can't use it. I wish the material on that disk were available online.

NEXARK SABRENT External USB 1.44 MB 2x Floppy Disk Drive

:biggrin:

I've a better idea for authors. What about instead of embedding screenshots of a computer software and its script...they could make this stuff available online and have the more related chapters printed on paper. :-) Software changes faster than the core subject of the book especially if it's math or physics related. So let's make more sense of the extremely expensive books.

Related to It's not there, go to the Web Hohoha

What does "It's not there, go to the Web Hohoha" mean?

"It's not there, go to the Web Hohoha" is a phrase commonly used to direct someone to search for information or resources online. It suggests that the needed information is not in the current physical location, but can be found on the internet.

Why is it important to go to the Web for information?

The Web is a vast network of interconnected information that is constantly growing and evolving. It provides access to a wide range of resources, from scientific research to news articles, making it a valuable tool for gathering information and staying updated on current events.

What are some tips for effectively searching the Web for information?

Some tips for effective web searching include using specific keywords, using advanced search features, and evaluating the credibility of sources. It is also important to critically analyze the information found on the Web and verify its accuracy.

How has the Web revolutionized scientific research?

The Web has greatly expanded access to scientific literature and data, making it easier for scientists to collaborate and share their findings. It has also allowed for faster dissemination of research, as well as increased transparency and reproducibility in the scientific community.

What are some potential drawbacks to relying on the Web for information?

Some potential drawbacks of relying on the Web for information include the risk of encountering inaccurate or biased information, the overwhelming amount of information available, and the potential for distraction or information overload. It is important to critically evaluate and fact-check information found on the Web.