Issues with LaTex

alejandromeira
Hello, can anyone give me a hand? I am trying to make a post but the LaTex engine doesn't work properly. I Try the `four dollars´ and the `four hashtag´ method on, but the equations dont appear when I click the Preview button. The LaTex engine doesn't do anything. I have posted several threads some years ago and I didn'n have any problem at the past. I don't know what's going on. Thank you for your help!! :)
Edit: Now, It's look like it's beginnig to work properly (Murphy's Law). I'm sorry for this thread. Otherwise, If someone has some LaTex advices they are welcome. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It could have been the "lazy LaTeX" rendering or similar. Here is my list of hints that I send out via PM sometimes:

There is a helpful "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to get you started. Note that you put double-$ delimiters at the start and end of each stand-alone line of LaTeX, and double-# delimiters at the start and end of in-line LaTeX that does not need to be on its own line.

Example of in-line LaTeX: ##v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}##

Example of stand-alone LaTeX:
$$v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}$$
Also, if you right-click on a LaTeX equation in a post, you get a pop-up menu to let you view the LaTeX source or view it in other formats.

LaTeX isn't supported in thread titles, so you can use simple text math in titles if you want.

Note also that PF uses a feature called "lazy LaTeX rendering" that speeds up page loads. When you first post your LaTeX in a thread, you will not see it rendered that first time. Just refresh your browser page to force it to be rendered, and then it should render whenever you come back to that page/thread in the future.

If you have trouble using the Preview feature to check your LaTeX, you can use a website such as https://www.quicklatex.com/ or https://latexeditor.lagrida.com/ to preview your LaTeX before you post it.

Ok, I know some more information about this issue. In this forum section the LaTex engine works properly but in other forum sections don't. In this forum section it appears LaTex Guide | BBcode Guide, on the botton of the writting space, but in other forum sections do not appears. Any idea as to it could be? Thanks.
Edit: Thanks berkeman, we can tell we post both answers at the same time :)

alejandromeira said:
In this forum section the LaTex engine works properly but in other forum sections don't. In this forum section it appears LaTex Guide | BBcode Guide, on the botton of the writting space, but in other forum sections do not appears. Any idea as to it could be?
So you are seeing that here in the Feedback forum, but not in the other forums? I see it in all forums, like the Introductory Physics schoolwork forum:

1714158784741.png

Are you on a phone or a laptop/tablet/PC? I'm on a laptop with Win10 and Firefox.

Likes alejandromeira
I am using both Apple iPad with Safari and Win11 i9 x86 with Chrome. I prefer iPad due to it's easier to me write LaTex Code on it. But maybe it'll be better to use the Win11, that's not the question. I submit you two screenshots from the Win11 computer without and with the bottom links.

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1
I had a similar problem using Latex in the EM forum yesterday where preview failed. Works fine now in this forum. Logged in on my super fast brand spanking new Framework 16 Widows 11 laptop using Chrome browser.

(inline Latex) This equation relates frequency to wavelength ## f = c/\lambda ##
(new line)
$$ f = c/\lambda $$

Likes alejandromeira
If there is not already LaTeX on a page, the parser doesn't load. Type some LaTeX and hit preview, and if LaTeX doesn't render then refresh the page while in preview. You should now find yourself back in edit mode, but if you preview again LaTeX should render.

Likes berkeman and alejandromeira
Ibix said:
If there is not already LaTeX on a page, the parser doesn't load. Type some LaTeX and hit preview, and if LaTeX doesn't render then refresh the page while in preview. You should now find yourself back in edit mode, but if you preview again LaTeX should render.
It works!! Thanks for the help!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Likes Ibix
Ibix said:
Ok. It seemed like it worked, but it really didn’t. I’ve been writing my equations until now, and it seemed to be right, but in the end I needed to write the problem statement at the beginning of the thread and… surprise… surprise… everything on my equations and writing fall apart, and I haven’t been able to put it back together. Please, don’t get me wrong, I appreciate your effort, but in the end today I waste my time and my work :sorry: Of course, it’s not your fault, maybe there are a bug walking around the LaTex. Now it's already too late here in Spain. Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
If it's equations and writing I would guess unbalanced LaTeX delimiters - a double # to start and only a single # to end, for example. Then LaTeX will render everything except your maths.

Thanks. Please don’t get worried about this issue. The physics problem I trying to solve is only for fun. Today I’m too busy. Eventually I’will get the way to get by when I had time. Simply e.g. I can write the post here, where the LaTex engine seems to work properly and copy-paste in the real thread. These are only ordinary computer issues. Thanks everybody for your assistance. :)