Issues with an exponential problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of a and b in the equation x = a(n^b), with given values of x and n. By rearranging the equation and using log rules, the values of a and b can be found by setting up a system of equations and solving for b. The final solution is b = (log(66) - log(37)) / (log(3) - log(2)), which can then be used to find the value of a.
Cmunro

Homework Statement

I have been told: Two variables x and n are connected by the formula
x=a( n^b). When n = 2, x = 37; when n = 3, x = 66. I have been told to find a and b.

Homework Equations

x=a(n^b) (I've put the brackets there because I don't know how to differenciate between times and "x" --below the x inbetween is a times not an x)

The Attempt at a Solution

37=a x 2^b 66= a x 3^b or 66/3^b =a

37 = (66/3^b) x 2^b
37= (66 x 2^b)/3^b
log37=(log66 x blog2)/blog3

Ok so I've gotten to this point - but I don't know how to get b on its own! Can anyone give me a hand here?

Thanks,
Cat

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint on how I solved it:

Since [tex]x = an^b[/tex], rearrange the equation to read [tex]a = \frac{x}{n^b}[/tex]. Find a system of equations by plugging in the numbers for x and n given to you in the problem. You can then equate these two by a = a. See if you can rearrange the equation into a format that will allow you to then put it into log form and solve for the exponent b.

ok, so I've tried it but I've ended up with the same problem. I don't know how to move b over - without cancelling out b.

as a=37/2^b and a=66/3^b
if a=a then: log37/blog2 =log66/blog3

can I flip the base or something? I'm not a naturally good mathematician, so sometimes I can miss the obvious that someone who is can see. What is there that I'm missing?

Divide one equation by the other, getting rid of a.

Then you can find b easily.

Sub b back into an equation to find a.

Ok I must be really thick, but I really don't see this at all.

(66=a x 3^b) / (37 = a x 2^b)

66/37 =(3^b)/(2^b)
log 66/37 = b log3/ b log 2

essentually this cancels b out completely - right?

up to here is good

66/37 =(3^b)/(2^b)

and then what does (3^b)/(2^b) become

HINT: (a^m)/(b^m) = (a/b)^m

ok! I get this now! so then

66/37 = (3/2)^b then I log both sides and voila!

Thanks I really appreciate it! I haven't actually seen that rule before, but this is useful to know.

Cmunro said:
Ok I must be really thick, but I really don't see this at all.

(66=a x 3^b) / (37 = a x 2^b)

66/37 =(3^b)/(2^b)
log 66/37 = b log3/ b log 2

Your error is that log(x/y) is NOT log(x)/log(y), it is log(x)- log(y).
You have log(66/37)= b log(3)- b log(2)= b(log(3)- log(2))

b= (log(66)- log(37))/(log(3)- log(2))

Of course, that's exactly what you get solving (3/2)b= 66/37.

Cmunro said:
ok! I get this now! so then

66/37 = (3/2)^b then I log both sides and voila!

Thanks I really appreciate it! I haven't actually seen that rule before, but this is useful to know.

No worries. That's quite a fundamental rule, so maybe you should review the Indice Laws. They're pretty easy and become second nature.
Also, from what HallsofIvy pointed out, maybe review your log laws too.

HallsofIvy said:
Your error is that log(x/y) is NOT log(x)/log(y), it is log(x)- log(y).
You have log(66/37)= b log(3)- b log(2)= b(log(3)- log(2))

b= (log(66)- log(37))/(log(3)- log(2))

Of course, that's exactly what you get solving (3/2)b= 66/37.

Ahh I see exactly what you mean. Back to reviewing the log rules! I'm trying to revise all these things at the moment you see, but a lot of it has flown out of my head. Anyway, important errors to learn from - so thank you for pointing this out!

Related to Issues with an exponential problem

1. What is an exponential problem?

An exponential problem is a type of mathematical problem where the unknown variable appears as an exponent. It typically involves the growth or decay of a quantity over time.

2. Why are exponential problems challenging?

Exponential problems can be challenging because they often involve large numbers and can result in very quick growth or decay. This makes it difficult to predict the outcome without using advanced mathematical techniques.

3. How are exponential problems used in science?

Exponential problems are frequently used in science to model natural phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and bacterial growth. They can also be used to analyze data and make predictions about future trends.

4. What are some real-life examples of exponential problems?

Real-life examples of exponential problems include compound interest in finance, the spread of diseases, and the growth of social media networks. In all of these cases, the quantity being measured grows or decays at a rate proportional to its current size.

5. What are some strategies for solving exponential problems?

One strategy for solving exponential problems is to use logarithms, which can help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. Another strategy is to use a graphing calculator or computer program to plot the data and make predictions about the future behavior of the quantity.