Isolating Variable in Equation for conservation of momentum

In summary: No, you want a single ##m_\mathrm{A}##. You need to do the inverse of distribution:$$a (b+c) = ab +...+ ac
jxj

Homework Statement

So the problem is trying to isolate mA
equations-of-conservation-of-momentum-energy.png
in the equation for momentum (only focusing on top formula, not bottom hehe) basically by solving the equation I assume. My teacher said because the vA and vB on the right were prime they could not be combined so I'm having trouble computing it. Please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

am pretty lost. I believe you have to divide the primes? I am unsure

Attachments

• equations-of-conservation-of-momentum-energy.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 14,293
  • equations-of-conservation-of-momentum-energy.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,199
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by putting all terms containing ##m_\mathrm{A}## on the left-hand side, and all other terms on the right-hand side.

Likes jxj
jxj said:
My teacher said because the vA and vB on the right were prime they could not be combined
You may be misinterpreting that. Ignore it and see where you get to.

Likes jxj
DrClaude said:
Start by putting all terms containing ##m_\mathrm{A}## on the left-hand side, and all other terms on the right-hand side.
when doing this, don't you divide the ##m_\mathrm{A}## plus ##v_\mathrm{A}## prime on the right by its counterpart on the left first? even though it contains a prime?

haruspex said:
You may be misinterpreting that. Ignore it and see where you get to.
ok thanks

jxj said:
when doing this, don't you divide the ##m_\mathrm{A}## plus ##v_\mathrm{A}## prime on the right by its counterpart on the left first?
No, I wouldn't divide yet, I would simply start by sorting the terms. When you have an equation like
$$
5x -3 = 2x + 1
$$
the first step is to try and gather all terms in ##x## together, and leave the rest on the other side,
$$
\begin{align*}
5x - 3 -2x +3 &= 2x + 1 - 2x + 3 \\
3x &= 4
\end{align*}
$$

DrClaude said:
No, I wouldn't divide yet, I would simply start by sorting the terms. When you have an equation like
$$
5x -3 = 2x + 1
$$
the first step is to try and gather all terms in ##x## together, and leave the rest on the other side,
$$
\begin{align*}
3x &= 4
\end{align*}
$$
ok so right now I am a little confused because unlike the example you gave with 5x, the formula is essentially equal on both sides minus the primes. in my mind I would try to cross out the mAvA on the right, is that right?

DrClaude said:
$$
5x -3 = 2x + 1
$$
$$
\begin{align*}
3x &= 4
\end{align*}
$$
I tried putting all of mA on the left and I got to mAvA - mAvA (prime) = mBvB (prime) - mBvB did I mess up?

jxj said:
I tried putting all of mA on the left and I got to mAvA - mAvA (prime) = mBvB (prime) - mBvB did I mess up?

No, that's correct. How you want to think of it is doing the same thing to both sides. So to move "m_a v'_a" to the left, subtract it from both sides. Or if it was multiplied by that, you would divide it on both sides.

Likes jxj
jxj said:
Factorise each side.

Likes jxj
haruspex said:
Factorise each side.
when you say factorise could you explain a little more please

jxj said:
when you say factorise could you explain a little more please
You want to go from ##m_\mathrm{A} v_\mathrm{A} - m_\mathrm{A} v_\mathrm{A}'## to an expression where ##m_\mathrm{A}## appears only once, using the distributive property of multiplication.

DrClaude said:
You want to go from ##m_\mathrm{A} v_\mathrm{A} - m_\mathrm{A} v_\mathrm{A}'## to an expression where ##m_\mathrm{A}## appears only once, using the distributive property of multiplication.
thanks!

DrClaude said:
so right now I am at distributing mA by itself into (vA - mAv’A) on the left of the equal sign and vice versa for mB on the right of the equal sign. am I on the right track?

jxj said:
so right now I am at distributing mA by itself into (vA - mAv’A) on the left of the equal sign and vice versa for mB on the right of the equal sign.
Check that part I highlighted in red.

Likes jxj
DrClaude said:
Check that part I highlighted in red.
for that part, was I supposed to separate them so I would have mA(vA) -(mA)(v’A) ?

jxj said:
for that part, was I supposed to separate them so I would have mA(vA) -(mA)(v’A) ?
No, you want a single ##m_\mathrm{A}##. You need to do the inverse of distribution:
$$
a (b+c) = ab + ac
$$

Likes jxj

Related to Isolating Variable in Equation for conservation of momentum

1. What is the equation for conservation of momentum?

The equation for conservation of momentum is p1 + p2 = p1f + p2f, where p represents momentum and the subscripts 1 and 2 indicate the initial objects while the subscripts 1f and 2f represent the final objects.

2. How do you isolate a variable in the conservation of momentum equation?

To isolate a variable in the conservation of momentum equation, you must use algebraic manipulation to move all other terms to the opposite side of the equation. This will leave the variable you want to isolate on one side of the equation by itself.

3. Why is it important to isolate variables in the conservation of momentum equation?

Isolating variables in the conservation of momentum equation allows you to solve for specific values, such as the final velocity or mass of an object, which can help in understanding the dynamics of a system. It also allows for the identification of relationships between different variables in the equation.

4. What are some common mistakes when isolating variables in the conservation of momentum equation?

Common mistakes when isolating variables in the conservation of momentum equation include not distributing negative signs correctly, forgetting to square or square root terms when isolating a variable, and not keeping track of units throughout the calculation.

5. How can the conservation of momentum equation be applied in real-world scenarios?

The conservation of momentum equation can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and fluid dynamics. It is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and can be used to make predictions and solve problems in many different fields of science and engineering.