Is work a function of state in adiabatic processes?

In summary, the book discusses functions of state and how the internal energy is a function of state because it has a well defined value at every equilibrium state. However, work and heat are not functions of state because the energy added or subtracted cannot be determined from a given state. In an adiabatic process, where Q=0, the internal energy is equal to the work done on the system, making work a function of state. Similarly, in a non-adiabatic process with the same final state, the change in internal energy would be the same, showing that it is also a function of state.
eprparadox
I'm reading a thermo book and I'm on the chapter dealing with the first law of thermodynamics. The book is discussing functions of state and how the internal energy is a function of state because it has a well defined value at every equilibrium state of the system.

It says that the work and heat are not functions of state because if we look at a given state, we wouldn't be able to tell how the energy was added or subtracted from the heat or work in order to achieve our current total internal energy.

My question is: in an adiabatic process, where Q = 0, the internal energy is just equal to the work done on the system. In this case, would work now be a function of state along with the internal energy since the work would be well defined always?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:
I'm reading a thermo book and I'm on the chapter dealing with the first law of thermodynamics. The book is discussing functions of state and how the internal energy is a function of state because it has a well defined value at every equilibrium state of the system.

It says that the work and heat are not functions of state because if we look at a given state, we wouldn't be able to tell how the energy was added or subtracted from the heat or work in order to achieve our current total internal energy.

My question is: in an adiabatic process, where Q = 0, the internal energy is just equal to the work done on the system. In this case, would work now be a function of state along with the internal energy since the work would be well defined always?

Thanks!
Suppose you had another process path (non-adiabatic) that took you to the exact same final state. Would the work be the same? Certainly, the change in internal energy would be the same. This is what we mean when we say something is a function of state.

Related to Is work a function of state in adiabatic processes?

What is a function of state in adiabatic processes?

A function of state in adiabatic processes is a thermodynamic property that depends only on the current state of the system, and not on the path taken to reach that state. Examples include pressure, temperature, and volume.

Is work a function of state in adiabatic processes?

Yes, work is a function of state in adiabatic processes. The amount of work done on or by a system during an adiabatic process depends only on the initial and final states of the system, and is independent of the path taken to reach those states.

How does work change in adiabatic processes?

In adiabatic processes, work can only be done through changes in pressure and volume. If the pressure increases while the volume remains constant, work is done on the system. If the volume increases while the pressure remains constant, work is done by the system.

What is the relationship between work and heat in adiabatic processes?

In adiabatic processes, there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. Therefore, the change in internal energy of the system is equal to the work done on or by the system.

Can work be negative in adiabatic processes?

Yes, work can be negative in adiabatic processes. If the volume decreases while the pressure remains constant, the work done by the system will be negative.