Is vacuum acceleration directly proportional to distance?

In summary, according to the Hypersine thread, the acceleration due to the vacuum is proportional to the distance.
69911e
Do we know if the instantaneous/observed acceleration due to the vacuum is directly proportional to distance or possibly? (ignore any gravitational effects)
A~D ?
A~D^2 ?
A~D^(1/2) ?
A~D^(-2)
A~D^(Other) ?
OR
A= constant (edited as I forgot this one)

If not, is there a best guess/fit or simply not precise enough data?

Feel free to correct my question if it is simply a bad question. I didn't see this directly address in any thread; if I missed one, a link would be great.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
69911e said:
the instantaneous/observed acceleration due to the vacuum

What do you mean by this?

PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by this?

The observed acceleration of distant objects from the supernova data or other observation.

69911e said:
Do we know if the instantaneous/observed acceleration due to the vacuum is directly proportional to distance or possibly? ... if I missed one, a link would be great.

You could look at the Hypersine thread.

To an excellent approximation, distances are growing and are expected to continue growing as the function
sinh2/3(1.5 t) where the present is at time t = 0.8

This looks more and more like exponential growth (at a very low rate of about 1/173 % per million years) as time goes on. Eventually it will be indistinguishable from exponential growth at that rate call it H

D(t) = eHt

If you differentiate that you get the expansion speed is proportional to the distance multiplied by H and if you take the derivative again you get the acceleration is proportional to the distance multiplied by the square of H

The Hypersine thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-hypersine-cosmic-model.819954/#post-5146660
has some graphs that show the distance growth curve and the gradual onset of exponential growth at a small constant rate.

Last edited:
Likes 69911e
The Hypersine thread provided the understanding of the acceleration rate I was looking for.
Thanks!

Related to Is vacuum acceleration directly proportional to distance?

1. Does vacuum acceleration increase as distance increases?

Yes, vacuum acceleration is directly proportional to distance. This means that as distance increases, the acceleration also increases.

2. Is the relationship between vacuum acceleration and distance linear?

Yes, the relationship between vacuum acceleration and distance is linear. This means that the acceleration increases at a constant rate as the distance increases.

3. Is there a limit to how fast an object can accelerate in a vacuum?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast an object can accelerate in a vacuum. This limit is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. How does the mass of an object affect vacuum acceleration?

The mass of an object does not affect vacuum acceleration. In a vacuum, all objects experience the same acceleration regardless of their mass.

5. Can vacuum acceleration be negative?

No, vacuum acceleration cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the rate of change of an object's velocity towards a specific direction.