Is (u,v,u^v) a Positive Basis in Vector Algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a positive basis and its relation to the cross product. A basis is considered positive if it follows a specific orientation in space, either right-handed or left-handed. The notation of raising a vector to a vector power is an alternative notation for the cross product. It is mentioned that the convention for a positive basis is that the determinant of the matrix with columns equal to the basis vectors is positive.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
If (u,v,w) is a positive basis, so (u^v, v^w,w^u) is too.
Relevant Equations
All below
I think we can say that (u,v,u^v) is a positive basis, so as (w^v,v,w) and (u,w^u,w). (1)

So
u^v = βw
v^w = γu
w^u = λv

where λ, β, and γ > 0 (*)

(u^v, v^w,w^u) = (βw,γu,λv)

\begin{vmatrix}
0 & 0 & β \\
γ & 0 & 0 \\
0 & λ & 0 \\
\end{vmatrix}

This determinant is positive by (*)

What you think about?

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: If (u,v,w) is a positive basis, so (u^v, v^w,w^u) is too.
Relevant Equations:: All below

I think we can say that (u,v,u^v) is a positive basis, so as (w^v,v,w) and (u,w^u,w). (1)
What does it mean for a basis to be positive?
Also, assuming u, v, and w are vectors, what do the expressions u^v, v^w, and w^u mean? I don't know what it means to raise a vector to a vector power.
LCSphysicist said:
So
u^v = βw
v^w = γu
w^u = λv

where λ, β, and γ > 0 (*)

(u^v, v^w,w^u) = (βw,γu,λv)

\begin{vmatrix}
0 & 0 & β \\
γ & 0 & 0 \\
0 & λ & 0 \\
\end{vmatrix}

This determinant is positive by (*)

What you think about?

Mark44 said:
Also, assuming u, v, and w are vectors, what do the expressions u^v, v^w, and w^u mean? I don't know what it means to raise a vector to a vector power.
This is a alternative notation to "u x v" "v x w" etc {cross product}

You didn't answer this question...
Mark44 said:
LCSphysicist said:
It's not one I've ever seen before, including in numerous linear algebra textbooks.

Likes Delta2 and member 587159
LCSphysicist said:

Where did you encounter such horrible notation?

• Haha
Likes Delta2, LCSphysicist, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Math_QED said:
So probably you will not like to see it kkk:
1594847027907.png
[Boulos geometria analitica]

1594847105377.png
[Wikipedia]

And go on... Is not the first time that someone here don't know this notation, i will try to not use anymore

• Informative
Likes member 587159
Mark44 said:
You didn't answer this question...
It's not one I've ever seen before, including in numerous linear algebra textbooks.
Well, a positive basis... Is just a way to adopt a orientation to the space, as well we do to a line or a plane.

Be a straight line, we can say the vector v is the positive orientation, so we have a set of:
all the vector with the same direction of v, and all the others opposites.

Be a plane, we can say: there is a pair of vector (v,u) , if we route v to u using the smaller angle, and this rotation resulting to be counterclockwise, so we can say that there is a Set in R2 (when we say about pairs) of vectors that route in counterclockwise, let's assume this positive, and the others are negatives.

Be now a space: If we have two basis in R3, and we can route one basis to superimpose on the other, in such way that the all vectors of the first basis always remains LI, so we have a positive basis, otherwise, a negative basis.

In physics language, we can guide the basis by dextrogira and levogira.

Say that both basis are positive, is say "that the basis have the same orientation or not "

" Using the cross product requires the handedness of the coordinate system to be taken into account (as explicit in the definition above). If a left-handed coordinate system is used, the direction of the vector n is given by the left-hand rule and points in the opposite direction. " {wikipedia}

Apparently outside Brazil you say as left handed coordinates and right handed coordinates?

I will question by another way so.
"Be (u,v,w) a basis fixing an orientation in space, so (u x v , v x w , w x u) has the same orientation. Prove it"

Mark44 said:

If a basis ##\beta = \{v_1, v_2, v_3 \}## is "positive", then ##v_1 \times v_2 \cdot v_3 > 0##. In other words, the basis is right-handed. At least I believe that's the convention.

etotheipi said:
If a basis ##\beta = \{v_1, v_2, v_3 \}## is "positive", then ##v_1 \times v_2 \cdot v_3 > 0##. In other words, the basis is right-handed. At least I believe that's the convention.
In the case here i think this is not a good way to define, just make sense say "positive basis" if we compare with another adopted as a pattern. As said in the question "If ... is positive, so... is positive"
i could say " if ... is negative, so... is negative" too
I will post another question about this to see if there is another interpretation

But your sight is almost right, if we are comparing the basis ordinary i,j,k (adopting ijk positive) with this basis, we can find the changing of basis matrix and see if the determinant is positive or not.
##\beta = \{v_1, v_2, v_3 \}##
> 0

1594849134364.png

"Show the basis has opposite orientation {it could be said: show if the basis E is positive, so F is negative}"

LCSphysicist said:
View attachment 266403
"Show the basis has opposite orientation {it could be said: show if the basis E is positive, so F is negative}"

Well, suppose ##\vec{e}_1 \times \vec{e}_2 \cdot \vec{e}_3 = k##, then$$-\vec{e}_1 \times \vec{e}_2 \cdot \vec{e}_3 = - k$$If one is a right handed basis, the other is left handed. This is fairly intuitive, since reversing a single vector in your basis reverses the handedness.

Likes LCSphysicist
Mark44 said:
Math_QED said:

It's the wedge product https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterior_algebra, just not very well typeset

Likes member 587159
I think the argument in the OP is fine, as long as why you explain why the constants ##\alpha,\beta,\gamma## being positive follows from the original basis being positive.

Likes LCSphysicist
Infrared said:
I think the argument in the OP is fine, as long as why you explain why the constants ##\alpha,\beta,\gamma## being positive follows from the original basis being positive.
that is the main problem, i thought this intuitively, but i am still trying to know how to prove

LCSphysicist said:
that is the main problem, i thought this intuitively, but i am still trying to know how to prove
Here's a coordinate free solution I was thinking of:

You can read ##(u,v,w)## as a basis of ##\mathfrak{sl}(2)## and interpret ##a \times b = [a,b]##. Then show that ##u\longmapsto [v,w]\, , \,v\longmapsto [w,u]\, , \,w\longmapsto [u,v]## defines a homomorphism and no anti-homomorphism.

• Skeptical
Likes LCSphysicist
Since ##u,v,w## is positively oriented, ##\det(u,v,w)=u\times v \cdot w=\beta w\cdot w## must be positive, so ##\beta>0##.

@fresh_42 Do you mean to use ##\mathfrak{so}(3)## instead of ##\mathfrak{sl}(2)##? The Lie algebra ##(\mathbb{R}^3,\times)## is isomorphic to the former and not the latter.

Infrared said:
Since ##u,v,w## is positively oriented, ##\det(u,v,w)=u\times v \cdot w=\beta w\cdot w## must be positive, so ##\beta>0##.

@fresh_42 Do you mean to use ##\mathfrak{so}(3)## instead of ##\mathfrak{sl}(2)##? The Lie algebra ##(\mathbb{R}^3,\times)## is isomorphic to the former and not the latter.
There is only one simple Lie algebra over ##\mathbb{C}## of dimension three, but ##so(3)## is probably better suited in this case.

Last edited:
LCSphysicist said:
Well, a positive basis... Is just a way to adopt a orientation to the space, as well we do to a line or a plane.

Be a straight line, we can say the vector v is the positive orientation, so we have a set of:
all the vector with the same direction of v, and all the others opposites.

Be a plane, we can say: there is a pair of vector (v,u) , if we route v to u using the smaller angle, and this rotation resulting to be counterclockwise, so we can say that there is a Set in R2 (when we say about pairs) of vectors that route in counterclockwise, let's assume this positive, and the others are negatives.

Be now a space: If we have two basis in R3, and we can route one basis to superimpose on the other, in such way that the all vectors of the first basis always remains LI, so we have a positive basis, otherwise, a negative basis.

In physics language, we can guide the basis by dextrogira and levogira.

Say that both basis are positive, is say "that the basis have the same orientation or not "

" Using the cross product requires the handedness of the coordinate system to be taken into account (as explicit in the definition above). If a left-handed coordinate system is used, the direction of the vector n is given by the left-hand rule and points in the opposite direction. " {wikipedia}

Apparently outside Brazil you say as left handed coordinates and right handed coordinates?
I see, so you select one basis to be positive and other bases are pisutive too if the cgange-of-basis matrix has positive determinant?

WWGD said:
I see, so you select one basis to be positive and other bases are pisutive too if the cgange-of-basis matrix has positive determinant?
yes, actually... I can't demonstrate this, but the book i learned it said:
"Enviamos o leitor interessado ao Capitulo 11, $ 10, do livro Introduction to Modern Algebra and Matrix Theory, cujos autores são O. Schreier e E. Sperne"

"To all readers interesting, we recommend to go to the chapter 11, $ 10, Introduction to Modern Algebra and Matrix Theory, authors: O. Schreier e E. Sperne"

I think the things become clear if someone share this part of book with us.

Related to Is (u,v,u^v) a Positive Basis in Vector Algebra?

1. What is the difference between basis and positive basis?

Basis refers to a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a vector space. Positive basis, on the other hand, refers to a basis where all the coefficients of the basis vectors are positive. This means that any vector in the vector space can be represented as a positive combination of the basis vectors.

2. How is a positive basis determined?

A positive basis can be determined by finding a basis for the vector space and then checking if all the coefficients of the basis vectors are positive. If not, the basis can be transformed into a positive basis by multiplying the basis vectors by -1 if necessary.

3. Why is having a positive basis important?

A positive basis is important because it allows us to represent any vector in the vector space as a positive combination of the basis vectors. This can be useful in applications where negative values are not meaningful, such as in probability distributions or physical quantities.

4. Can a vector space have multiple positive bases?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple positive bases. This is because there are often multiple ways to represent a vector as a positive combination of basis vectors. However, all positive bases for a given vector space will have the same number of basis vectors.

5. Is a positive basis unique?

No, a positive basis is not unique. As mentioned before, there can be multiple positive bases for a given vector space. Additionally, even if a vector space has a unique basis, it may not have a unique positive basis as there can be multiple ways to transform a basis into a positive one.