Is Thomas Calculus the Best Book for High School Calculus Self-Study?

In summary, for those looking for a comprehensive and well-explained calculus book, "A First Course in Calculus" by Lang is recommended, as well as "Thomas Calculus" which is used by many high schools and Ivy League schools. For those with internet access, the MIT OCW course 18.01SC is also a good resource for high school level calculus. Other books like Apostol and Piskunov are not recommended.
Gurasees
I am doing precalculus by 'Carl Stitz' and 'Jeff Zeager'. It's a pretty good book. Every tiny thing is touched and explained for a topic. I want a similar book for calculus for high school where every tiny detail is explained because i am learning calculus by myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are from India and probably have little access to books. And the books you have access to like Apostol and Piskunov are totally wrong. Probably the only one any good that I think you will have access to is Lang's "A First Course in Calculus", also called "Short Calculus". It will have all the detail you need.

If you have good internet, I would recommend the MIT OCW course 18.01SC which is meant for high schoolers.

Likes Gurasees
I would recommend Thomas Calculus. We used it in high school and it was comprehensive. It lists out all the theorems and examples are very detailed and thought-provoking. It is also used in half of the Ivy League schools (the other half use Stewart I believe). I was able to get a 5 on the BC exam largely due to using Thomas and exempt Calculus III using it as well. You can't go wrong with either Thomas or Stewart.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321588762/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Gurasees

Related to Is Thomas Calculus the Best Book for High School Calculus Self-Study?

What is "Book for high school calculus"?

"Book for high school calculus" is a textbook specifically designed for students in high school who are learning calculus. It covers the fundamental concepts and principles of calculus, including derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus.

Why is it important to have a book for high school calculus?

Having a book for high school calculus allows students to have a structured and organized resource to learn from. It also provides practice problems and explanations to help students better understand the concepts and improve their skills in calculus.

What topics are typically covered in a "Book for high school calculus"?

Topics covered in a "Book for high school calculus" may include limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and techniques of integration. Some books may also cover topics such as sequences, series, and differential equations.

How can a "Book for high school calculus" help me prepare for college?

A "Book for high school calculus" can help you develop a strong foundation in calculus, which is a fundamental subject in many college majors such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in college-level courses.

Are there any resources that can supplement a "Book for high school calculus"?

Yes, there are many online resources such as practice problems, video tutorials, and interactive demonstrations that can supplement a "Book for high school calculus". Your teacher or school may also provide additional resources to further enhance your understanding of the subject.