Is this transition allowed or forbidden?

• Thread starter Poirot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transition
In summary, for the transition of 1s1p 1P1 to 1s2 1S1 in He, the selection rules for E1 allow for a change in L of -1, a change in J of -1 or 0, and no change in S. However, since the parity of the initial state is -1 and the parity of the final state is +1, this transition violates the parity selection rule and is therefore forbidden. The notation of 1s1p is likely a typo and should be 1s2p.
Poirot

Homework Statement

Under the multi-electron electric dipole (E1) selections rules, state whether this transition is allowed or forbidden and state which selection rule(s) has been violated.
for He: 1s1p 1P1-> 1s2 1S1

Homework Equations

For E1:
\begin{eqnarray*} Parity \ changes: (-1)^l\\
\Delta L = 0, \pm 1 (0\rightarrow{}0 \ not \ allowed)\\
\Delta J = 0, \pm 1 (0\rightarrow{}0 \ not \ allowed)\\
\Delta S = 0\end{eqnarray*}

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial state has: L=1, 2S+1=1 so S=0, J=1
Final state has: L=0, 2S+1=1 so S=0, J=0

so in theory this is allowed because ΔL=-1, ΔS=0 and ΔJ=-1, but I'm not sure how to implement the parity condition? Is it that because the electron is initially in 1p, l=1 and then ends in 1s^2 so l=0 so this transition is odd and parity is fine?
I have a feeling this is physically impossible because I don't think 1p exists? I'm quite lost here so any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
The parity of the state is ##(-1)^L##, i.e. negative for the initial state and positive for the final state.
You can also this in terms of the individual electron configurations
For the initial state: ##(-1)^0\times (-1)^1=-1##, in a similar way you should be able to get that the final state has positive parity.
I don't see why the 1p state cannot exist? What is your arguments for this?

eys_physics said:
The parity of the state is ##(-1)^L##, i.e. negative for the initial state and positive for the final state.
You can also this in terms of the individual electron configurations
For the initial state: ##(-1)^0\times (-1)^1=-1##, in a similar way you should be able to get that the final state has positive parity.
I don't see why the 1p state cannot exist? What is your arguments for this?
1p would imply a p-state for n = 1, which doesn't exist. I think there must have been a misprint in the original statement of the problem. Maybe the configuration for the initial state was meant to be 1s2p.

Do you do (-1)^l for each electron in the shell? or just the l for that shell, so for example if you had:
1s2 2s2 2p 3s
would the parity calculation be: (-1)0(-1)0(-1)1(-1)0 = -1

or is it per electron?

And as for the 1s1p, I think it must be a typo.

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, probably it should be 2p. First I was not aware of the restrictions on the n quantum since I am not an expert in atomic physics.

Yes, you are correct regarding the parity. Total parity of a state is the product of the parities of the individual states.
This is easy to understand from the definition of parity. If the parity is -1 you have $$\phi(-\mathbf{r})=-\phi(-\mathbf{r})$$ and if parity is 1, $$\phi(\mathbf{r})=\phi(-\mathbf{r})$$ for the wave function.

Related to Is this transition allowed or forbidden?

1. What does "transition allowed or forbidden" mean in science?

The term "transition allowed or forbidden" refers to the possibility of an electron in an atom or molecule to move from one energy level to another. This movement, or transition, can either be allowed or forbidden based on certain rules and principles in quantum mechanics.

2. How do scientists determine if a transition is allowed or forbidden?

Scientists use mathematical equations and rules in quantum mechanics, such as selection rules, to determine if a transition is allowed or forbidden. These rules take into account factors such as the energy difference between the energy levels and the quantum numbers of the electrons involved.

3. What is the significance of knowing if a transition is allowed or forbidden?

Knowing if a transition is allowed or forbidden can provide valuable information about the electronic structure and properties of atoms and molecules. It can also help in understanding the behavior of materials and the interactions between particles in chemical reactions.

4. Can a forbidden transition ever occur?

Yes, a forbidden transition can still occur, but it is much less likely compared to an allowed transition. This is because a forbidden transition violates the selection rules in quantum mechanics, making it less energetically favorable.

5. How does the concept of allowed and forbidden transitions apply to other fields of science?

The concept of allowed and forbidden transitions is not limited to just atoms and molecules, but can also be applied to other systems in physics such as nuclear transitions and particle interactions. It also has applications in other fields such as astronomy, where it is used to study the energy levels and transitions of celestial bodies.