Is This the Correct Method to Calculate the Equivalent Resistance?

In summary, equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit that can be replaced by a single resistor without changing the current or voltage. In a series circuit, it is calculated by adding all individual resistances together. In a parallel circuit, it is calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. To determine the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit, simplify it using series and parallel rules and then apply the formulas. The equivalent resistance can never be greater than the sum of individual resistances in a circuit.
RedDead
find R equivalent of the circuit

i tried the following but not sure
R1 R3 parallel
R2 R4 parallel
then both results above as series
and at last the result from above as parallel with R5

please correct me if i am wrong

Attachments

• dasffasd.jpg
    dasffasd.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
any one could help please?

RedDead said:
find R equivalent of the circuit

i tried the following but not sure
R1 R3 parallel
R2 R4 parallel
then both results above as series
and at last the result from above as parallel with R5

please correct me if i am wrong

You're right.

Related to Is This the Correct Method to Calculate the Equivalent Resistance?

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit that can be replaced by a single resistor without changing the current or voltage in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

For a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is the sum of all the individual resistances in the circuit. This can be calculated using the formula Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. What is the formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit?

The formula for equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula takes into account the fact that in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the individual resistances.

4. How do you determine the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit?

To determine the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit, you can use the combination of series and parallel circuit rules. First, simplify the circuit by reducing any series or parallel combinations into a single equivalent resistor. Then, apply the series and parallel formulas to find the final equivalent resistance.

5. Can the equivalent resistance of a circuit be greater than the sum of its individual resistances?

No, the equivalent resistance of a circuit can never be greater than the sum of its individual resistances. This is because adding resistors in series always increases the total resistance, and adding resistors in parallel always decreases the total resistance. Therefore, the equivalent resistance will always fall between the highest and lowest individual resistances in the circuit.