Is this relation equivalence relation ?

In summary, the relation x^y = y^x is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. However, the test paper solution gives a different answer after it has shown that x^(y/x) = z^(y/z).
jd12345

Homework Statement

Relation is x^y = y^x...x and y belong to integers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i have already proven that they are reflexive and symmetric. I have doubt with transitive
I did the follwoing way x^y = y^x...(1) and y^z = z^y...(2)
from(1) x^z = y^(zx/y)
from(2) z^x = y^(zx/y)
Therefore x^z = z^x proving it is transitive

But the test paper solution does it this way
from(1) y = x^(y/x) and from(2) y = z^(y/z)
Now x^(y/x) = z^(y/z) ... so its not transitive
Which is correct? Did i do anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
jd12345 said:
But the test paper solution does it this way
from(1) y = x^(y/x) and from(2) y = z^(y/z)
Now x^(y/x) = z^(y/z) ... so its not transitive

How did it follow from x^(y/x) = z^(y/z) that x and z are not equivalent?
Raise both sides to the power of (xz/y) , we will get x and z as equivalent.
I think both methods prove transitivity. I can't see how the test paper solution is giving different answer after it has shown this :- x^(y/x) = z^(y/z) .

Note :- we don't have to worry about y being zero here. As 0 won't be equivalent to any other integer. As for any non-zero integer x ,
0^x(=0) won't be same as x^0(=1) .

So it is an equivalent relation right?
When the book gives the wrong solution i get real angry - more when it wastes so much time

Anyways can you find three numbers which are equivalent according to the above relation. I am unable to.
I could think of pairs of numbers which are equivalent. For ex:- 2^4 = 4^2 .
I am unable to find 3 such numbers which are equivalent.:cry:

glb_lub said:
Anyways can you find three numbers which are equivalent according to the above relation. I am unable to.
I could think of pairs of numbers which are equivalent. For ex:- 2^4 = 4^2 .
I am unable to find 3 such numbers which are equivalent.:cry:

Ah , as it happens other than the equivalence in the obvious case where an integer is equivalent to itself i.e x~x , there are only two pairs of integers which are equivalent , i.e (-2)~(-4) and (2)~(4) .

Thus there is no equivalence class containing 3 members or more for this equivalence relation. Either we have equivalence class of one member each i.e ...,{-3},{-1},{0},{1},{3}... or the two equivalence classes both of which contain two members i.e {2,4} and {-2,-4} .

This maybe a reason why your solution book gave the wrong answer for transitivity. Because there is no equivalence class of the form {x,y,z} where x,y,z are integers.

But there is another very common equivalence relation for which such a thing happens. I.e the equality relation.
I.e x~y if x=y. For this relation , all the equivalence classes contain one member each. :smile:

Related to Is this relation equivalence relation ?

What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two objects or elements. It is a relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

What are the three properties of an equivalence relation?

The three properties of an equivalence relation are reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that every element is related to itself. Symmetry means that if element A is related to element B, then element B is also related to element A. Transitivity means that if element A is related to element B, and element B is related to element C, then element A is also related to element C.

How do you determine if a relation is an equivalence relation?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. If it satisfies all three properties, then it is an equivalence relation.

What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations are equality, congruence, and similarity. In equality, two objects are equivalent if they are exactly the same. In congruence, two objects are equivalent if they have the same size and shape. In similarity, two objects are equivalent if they have the same shape but may differ in size.

Why are equivalence relations important in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are important in mathematics because they allow us to classify objects and identify patterns. They are used in various branches of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, and set theory. Equivalence relations also help us understand the properties and behaviors of mathematical structures.