Is this possible to solve with Half Reaction method?

In summary, the given reaction is not suitable for balancing using the half reaction method due to the absence of charged species.
billy2908

Homework Statement

C3H5(NO3)3 --> N2 + CO2 + H2O + O2

Homework Equations

non O and H oxi states as follows
C: -2/3 to +4
N: +5 to 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Oxi: C3H5(NO3)3 --> CO2 +6e- added 6 electrons to balance net carbon oxi state

Red: C3H5(NO3)3 +15e- --> N2 added 15 electrons to balance net nitrogen oxi state

then no idea after this...

another variant I did for this problem is adjusting for coeffs first
2C3H5(NO3)3 --> 3N2 + 6CO2 + H2O + O2

Oxi: 2C3H5(NO3)3 --> 6CO2 + 28e- to balance out carbon oxi state
Red: 2C3H5(NO3)3 + 15e- --> 3N2

I know the answers already using conventional trial and error

However, when I try the half reaction method using Carbon in the oxidation and Nitrogen in the reduction I keep getting complications.

I do not know if the half reaction method even works for this so please help me if this is possible. Otherwise tell me it's impossible so I can get on with my life

Physics news on Phys.org
Half reaction method requires balancing charges for each half reaction separately - as there are no charged species in the reaction, it won't be possible here. Perhaps it can be done using some dirty tricks, but it will be an art for art's sake and a waste of time.

Related to Is this possible to solve with Half Reaction method?

1. Can any chemical reaction be solved using the Half Reaction method?

Yes, the Half Reaction method is a universal method for solving any chemical reaction, regardless of its complexity or type.

2. How does the Half Reaction method differ from other methods of solving chemical reactions?

The Half Reaction method is unique in that it separates the oxidation and reduction reactions into two half reactions, making it easier to balance and understand the overall reaction.

3. Is the Half Reaction method more accurate than other methods?

The accuracy of the Half Reaction method depends on the skill and understanding of the scientist using it. However, when used correctly, it can provide precise and accurate results.

4. Can the Half Reaction method be used for both acidic and basic solutions?

Yes, the Half Reaction method can be used for both acidic and basic solutions by adjusting the half reactions and adding appropriate hydrogen or hydroxide ions to balance the charges.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Half Reaction method?

The Half Reaction method may become more complex and time-consuming for reactions with multiple oxidation states or multiple reactants. In these cases, alternate methods may be more efficient.