Is this possible? Omnidirectional Load Pin

• Thread starter FinanclEngr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Pin
In summary: So, it would be okay to have the load rotate.However, the strain gauges would need to be strategically placed so that the loads on each side of the shaft cancel out.
FinanclEngr
Please take a look at the attached diagram. This is a rough representation of a concept my team and I would like to implement in a project. Initial research suggests that such pin-based weighing systems are strictly unidirectional (i.e the basic clevis pin loan cells). Our platform rotates while bearing a load with force always in direction of gravity i.e. load does not rotate with weighing cylinder, but "hangs" (forgive my verbiage here - I'm not an engineer). Hopefully the diagram conveys the idea. Assuming I've provided enough information, is this possible either utilizing currently available hardware or designing a new load sensor with multiple strategically placed strain gauges?

Attachments

• Concept1.jpg
    Concept1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 465
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
What is the problem this device is supposed to overcome - and what is it supposed to do?

It is usually not desirable to allow the load pin to rotate, but it is not forbidden.
An unthreaded clevis pin passing right through the clevis and held by a split pin, or even a regular bolt, will do this.

More importantly, what's our cut of the royalties? :p

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
What is the problem this device is supposed to overcome - and what is it supposed to do?

It is usually not desirable to allow the load pin to rotate, but it is not forbidden.
An unthreaded clevis pin passing right through the clevis and held by a split pin, or even a regular bolt, will do this.

The entire shaft spins as part of a larger mechanical assembly. Without going into unnecessary detail, we need it to measure the weight of a variable load that will hang beneath. The direction of force is always down, but variable by 360* in relation to the "clevis pin load cell" like shaft as it spins (b) . Shear force occurs between a and b, this would be where the strain gauges would be (think 1/2 of a clevis pin load cell) Don't know if that clears it up any..

Rotation "not forbidden" - interesting...why is it undesirable? Does it affect accuracy? Are we talking 360* rotation? Can you link to any technical material that might explain in more detail how the strain gauges are set up in a clevis pin load sensor so that a weight reading could be obtained despite pin rotation?

Thanks immensely!

You were talking about a load pin and referred to a clevis pin - desirability really depends on function: think "hinges".
The device you have drawn could be configured to measure weight - but there are better ways. You need the load supports to slip but there should be enough friction to get a different tension on each side of the shaft ... unless you intend that the load should turn with the shaft.
Weight always points down - that is the definition of "down" - even if the load is in vertical circular motion.

Related to Is this possible? Omnidirectional Load Pin

1. Is an omnidirectional load pin really possible?

Yes, an omnidirectional load pin is a real and functional device. It is a specialized type of load cell that can measure force in all directions, making it ideal for applications where force is applied from various angles.

2. How does an omnidirectional load pin work?

An omnidirectional load pin works by using strain gauges positioned at different angles around the pin. These strain gauges measure the deformation of the pin when force is applied, and this information is used to calculate the force in all directions.

3. What are the advantages of using an omnidirectional load pin?

The main advantage of using an omnidirectional load pin is its ability to accurately measure forces from any direction, eliminating the need for multiple sensors. This makes it more efficient and cost-effective for certain applications.

4. What are some common uses for an omnidirectional load pin?

Omnidirectional load pins are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, marine, and automotive, where forces can come from various directions. They are also used in research and testing applications where precise force measurements are needed.

5. Are there any limitations to using an omnidirectional load pin?

While omnidirectional load pins are versatile and useful in many applications, they do have some limitations. They are typically not suitable for high-temperature or high-pressure environments, and the accuracy of measurements can be affected by external factors such as vibration or electromagnetic interference.

Back