Is This Math Quiz as Easy as It Seems?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, the mind games quiz had 5 questions. Lily has an unusual habit that slows her down - she takes one step backward for every two she takes forward. How many steps will it take her to get from the couch to the fridge, which is twenty paces? Lily's answer depends on how the steps are taken. If she takes two steps forward and then one back and repeats this pattern, it takes 56 steps, but this is not one of the choices. If she takes one step back and then two forward amd repeats this pattern, then it takes 60 steps. If she takes one step forward, one backward, and then another forward, and repeats this pattern then you get the answer required. And of course, if she
Physics news on Phys.org
Results of your quiz

You answered correctly 5 out of 5 questions. This is equivalent to 100 %.

Your grade is
A+

I though that was pretty interesting. Although the answers were not that close to eachtoher, most of them could be logically guesses. I took some extra time on the last one though.

quiz said:
3. Question: Lily has an unusual habit that slows her down - she takes one step backward for every two she takes forward. How many steps will it take her to get from the couch to the fridge, which is twenty paces?
Their answer: (hidden text) 58
The answer depends on how the steps are taken. For instance, if she takes two steps forward and then one back and repeats this pattern, it takes 56 steps, but this is not one of the choices. If she takes one step back and then two forward amd repeats this pattern, then it takes 60 steps. If she takes one step forward, one backward, and then another forward, and repeats this pattern then you get the answer required. And of course, if she takes 20 steps forward followed by 10 backward then it takes her 20 steps.

My wife answered "I don't know" for all 5 questions, and in each case she was correct, but she got an F.

4/5, question 3 was odd as described above. Intuitively for me, one step back for every 2 forward = 2 forward then 1 back.

Think of it as a trigger: "if you have taken 2 forward steps, take 1 reverse step".

3 could be interpreted at least two ways. Fortunately, one of the ways wasn't listed as an answer.

4 is annoying for an ostensibly "do in your head" test, since the right answer is very close to a wrong answer. I didn't feel like squaring 3-digit numbers in my head, so I guessed that I rounded up more than I rounded down when getting my estimate of 158.

Think of it as a trigger: "if you have taken 2 forward steps, take 1 reverse step".

Hmm, that doesn't work. If the trigger is tested after each move, it would take more steps, * in fact. Perhaps that is how they meant it to be understood.

*: don't know how to make it white.

Last edited:
On the last one I just used the cost/guest. It was pretty easy to round it off and get an answer. 0.89/lb ~ 0.9/lb, 0.9/lb * 3/4 lb/guest < (but close to) .7/guest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I took issue with number 4 as well Hurkyl

For number 5 I thought the easiest was 3/4 of 18.

3 was another issue, but as has been said one interpretation was not one of the choices.

3 is one of those brain teasers you hear from time to time. Oddly, they didn't put the trick answer.

I did 4 using a calculator because I don't need to square two three digit numbers then take the square root of the sum in my head to know 157 is too close to 161 to make that an easy job.

5 was a bit funny: the pounds value was different for each answer! Who would bother calculating the rest of the stuff??

Related to Is This Math Quiz as Easy as It Seems?

1. What is an easy math quiz?

An easy math quiz is a set of simple mathematical questions designed to test your basic arithmetic skills. It usually includes questions on addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Who can take an easy math quiz?

Anyone can take an easy math quiz, regardless of their age or level of mathematical knowledge. It is a great way for beginners to practice their math skills and for more advanced individuals to refresh their knowledge.

3. How is an easy math quiz different from a regular math test?

An easy math quiz is usually shorter and simpler than a regular math test. It focuses on basic concepts and does not involve complex problem-solving or advanced mathematical concepts.

4. How can I prepare for an easy math quiz?

You can prepare for an easy math quiz by reviewing basic arithmetic concepts, practicing with similar quizzes, and using flashcards or other study materials. It is also important to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast before taking the quiz.

5. What are the benefits of taking an easy math quiz?

Taking an easy math quiz can help improve your basic arithmetic skills, boost your confidence in math, and prepare you for more challenging tests. It can also be a fun and engaging way to practice math and track your progress over time.