Is this Line Integral Independent of Path for a Conservative Field?

The integral for any curve is therefore independent of the path, and depends only on the endpoints. You can verify this by the fact that the integrand can be written as the total derivative of the potential function.In summary, the line integral ∫ F . dr , where F = (3x2 sin y)i + (x3 cos y)j between the origin (0,0) and the point (2,4) is independent of the path taken and can be reduced to ∫ d(x3 sin y). This is because F is a conservative field resulting from the single-valued scalar potential x3 sin y, and therefore the integral only depends on the endpoints.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Evaluate this line integral ∫ F . dr , where F = (3x2 sin y)i + (x3 cos y)j between the origin (0,0) and the point (2,4):

(a) along straight line y = 2x
(b) along curve y = x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)
dr = dx i + dy j

∫ [ (3x2 sin y) i + (x3 cos y)j ] . [dx i + dy j ]

= ∫ (3x2 sin y)dx + (x3 cos y)dy

= ∫ d(x3 sin y) from [0,0] to [2,4]Does this mean that this line integral is independent of the path taken?

(b) If the line integral is independent of path, you should get the same answer..

Does dr = dx i + dy j still hold given that it's a curve now? do i have to use the "distance along curve" formula:

dr = √[ 1 + (dy/dx)2 ] dxI've looked up RHB textbook it says it's fine to simply use dr = dx i + dy j ...

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate this line integral ∫ F . dr , where F = (3x2 sin y)i + (x3 cos y)j between the origin (0,0) and the point (2,4):

(a) along straight line y = 2x
(b) along curve y = x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)
dr = dx i + dy j

∫ [ (3x2 sin y) i + (x3 cos y)j ] . [dx i + dy j ]

= ∫ (3x2 sin y)dx + (x3 cos y)dy

= ∫ d(x3 sin y) from [0,0] to [2,4]

Does this mean that this line integral is independent of the path taken?

(b) If the line integral is independent of path, you should get the same answer..

Does dr = dx i + dy j still hold given that it's a curve now? do i have to use the "distance along curve" formula:

dr = √[ 1 + (dy/dx)2 ] dx

I've looked up RHB textbook it says it's fine to simply use dr = dx i + dy j ...

x and y are not independent. You can't treat y as a constant when integrating dx and vice versa. Take your first path, y=2x. r=i dx+j dy=i dx+j 2*dx. Eliminate y from the integration by putting y=2x everywhere.

Dick said:
x and y are not independent. You can't treat y as a constant when integrating dx and vice versa. Take your first path, y=2x. r=i dx+j dy=i dx+j 2*dx. Eliminate y from the integration by putting y=2x everywhere.

I know x and y are not independent, as they are bounded by y = 2x...

But my question here is whether the integral is independent of the path taken or not since it can be reduced to ∫ d(x3 sin y)...

unscientific said:
I know x and y are not independent, as they are bounded by y = 2x...

But my question here is whether the integral is independent of the path taken or not since it can be reduced to ∫ d(x3 sin y)...

Yes it is.

unscientific said:
my question here is whether the integral is independent of the path taken or not since it can be reduced to ∫ d(x3 sin y)...
You can think of F as a field resulting from the scalar potential x3 sin y. Since that is single-valued, the field must be conservative.

Related to Is this Line Integral Independent of Path for a Conservative Field?

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the area under a curve or the work done along a certain path. It involves integrating a function over a specific curve or path in a multi-dimensional space.

2. Why is finding a line integral important?

Finding a line integral is important because it allows us to calculate physical quantities such as work, mass, and energy, which are essential in various scientific fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps us understand the behavior of vector fields and their relationship with curves or paths.

3. How do you find a line integral?

To find a line integral, you need to first parameterize the curve or path in terms of a single variable. Then, you integrate the function of interest along this parameterized curve, taking into account the direction of the curve. This results in a numerical value that represents the area or work done along the curve.

4. What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have various real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a force on an object moving along a curved path, finding the mass of an object with a varying density, and determining the amount of fluid flowing through a curved pipe. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields around a wire.

5. Are there different types of line integrals?

Yes, there are two types of line integrals: path integrals and line integrals of vector fields. Path integrals are used to calculate the work done by a force along a path, while line integrals of vector fields are used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a curve or surface. The latter is also known as the surface integral or the flux integral.