Is 3He:4He Ratio Redundant in Scientific Writing?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, a high 3He:4He ratio signifies a high concentration of helium-3 to helium-4. While some may argue that the word "ratio" is redundant, it is still commonly used and helps to clarify the meaning of the colon between the isotopes. However, it is also acceptable to write it without the word "ratio" to avoid redundancy.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
"A high 3He:4He ratio signifies..."
I'm thinking that since the colon between the isotopes shows that it is a ratio already, using the word 'ratio' afterwards is a bit like writing PIN number. Is it acceptable to write it like this or should i get rid of the word 'ratio'?

Science news on Phys.org
To a mathematician, the word "ratio" might seem redundant, but the phrase scans better with the word included, IMO.

Ya I think the word ratio belongs.

I've always taken the colon in such applications to represent the word 'to', since that's the way it's spoken. In that case, the inclusion of the word 'ratio' is correct.

Or you could write it like this to avoid the redundancy but still keep it clear:

"A high ratio 3He:4He signifies..."

matthyaouw said:
"A high 3He:4He ratio signifies..."
I'm thinking that since the colon between the isotopes shows that it is a ratio already, using the word 'ratio' afterwards is a bit like writing PIN number. Is it acceptable to write it like this or should i get rid of the word 'ratio'?
I would prefer in a previous sentence to say once that 3He:4He is a ratio and not need to be redundant.

Brilliant. Thanks guys :)

Related to Is 3He:4He Ratio Redundant in Scientific Writing?

1) Is this language usage considered grammatically correct?

This is a subjective question as grammatical correctness can vary based on the context and purpose of the language usage. It is best to consult a trusted source, such as a grammar guide or a language expert, for a more definitive answer.

2) Can I use slang or colloquial language in formal writing?

It is generally not recommended to use slang or colloquial language in formal writing as it may be seen as unprofessional or lacking in clarity. However, there may be certain exceptions or specific situations where it is appropriate to use such language.

3) How do I know if I am using the right verb tense?

Verbs can be tricky, but a good rule of thumb is to make sure that the verb tense agrees with the time frame of the sentence. For example, if the sentence is in present tense, the verb should also be in present tense. If you are still unsure, it never hurts to double check with a grammar guide or a language expert.

4) Can I use contractions in formal writing?

This is another case where the answer may depend on the context and purpose of the writing. In general, contractions should be avoided in formal writing as they may sound too informal or casual. However, there may be certain exceptions or specific situations where contractions can be used effectively.

5) What is the best way to improve my language usage and grammar skills?

The best way to improve your language usage and grammar skills is to practice consistently and to seek feedback from others. Reading and writing regularly can also help to expand your vocabulary and improve your understanding of sentence structure. Additionally, there are plenty of online resources and language courses available to help you improve your skills.