Is this integral a convolution ?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the struggle to find a function E(t) that represents the energy inside a sphere with energy density ρ(t,r), where the radius r is a function of time. The proposed expression for E(t) was E(t) = 8π ∫0r(t) ρ(r,t) dr, which was questioned for its validity. The possibility of r and ρ being convolved was also considered. Ultimately, it was pointed out that there were errors in the notation, particularly with the inconsistency in the placement of r and the use of it as the dummy variable for integration.
Mentz114
I'm struggling to find a function [itex]E(t)[/itex] which is the energy inside a sphere with energy density [itex]\rho(t,r)[/itex] where the radius [itex]r \equiv r(t)[/itex] is itself a function of time. This
[tex]
E(t) = 8\pi \int_0^{r(t)} \rho(r,t) dr
[/tex]
doesn't make sense, does it ? Is the thing I'm looking for some kind of convolution of r and [itex]\rho[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say it doesn't make sense? It looks perfectly reasonable to me.

Mentz114 said:
I'm struggling to find a function [itex]E(t)[/itex] which is the energy inside a sphere with energy density [itex]\rho(t,r)[/itex] where the radius [itex]r \equiv r(t)[/itex] is itself a function of time. This
[tex]
E(t) = 8\pi \int_0^{r(t)} \rho(r,t) dr
[/tex]
doesn't make sense, does it ? Is the thing I'm looking for some kind of convolution of r and [itex]\rho[/itex] ?
You should try to be more careful in your notation. You have ρ(t,r) in one place and ρ(r,t) someplace else. More important if r is the upper limit of the integral, it should not be used as the dummy for integration.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the sloppiness.

More important if r is the upper limit of the integral, it should not be used as the dummy for integration.
Yes, I thought there was something wrong but I'm still baffled.

Related to Is this integral a convolution ?

1. What is a convolution integral?

A convolution integral is a mathematical operation that describes the output of a system in terms of the input and the impulse response of the system. It is used to model linear time-invariant systems in signal processing, physics, and other fields.

2. How is a convolution integral calculated?

A convolution integral is calculated by multiplying the two functions being convolved and then integrating the product over the entire range of the independent variable. In some cases, the integral may be solved analytically, while in others numerical methods are used.

3. What is the difference between a convolution integral and a regular integral?

A convolution integral involves two functions being multiplied together and then integrated, while a regular integral only involves one function being integrated. Additionally, the limits of integration in a convolution integral are often infinite, whereas regular integrals have finite limits.

4. What are some examples of systems that can be modeled using convolution integrals?

Convolution integrals are widely used in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. Examples of systems that can be modeled using convolution integrals include electronic filters, mechanical systems, and communication systems.

5. Why is the convolution integral important in scientific research?

The convolution integral is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand and model complex systems in terms of simpler components. It also has applications in fields such as image processing, data analysis, and mathematical modeling, making it a valuable tool for scientists in various disciplines.