Is there no energy conservation?

In summary, particles that decay have a finite lifetime and therefore have a non-zero mass distribution, resulting in a decay width. This means that the energy of the decay products may differ from the original particle's energy in its rest frame, but energy and momentum are still conserved. This is due to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and the fact that in experiments, a large number of decays are measured to determine the statistics. The mass width may also affect the Hamiltonian and the particle's wave function.
nevo
When we look at a particle's rest frame
its energy is Mc^2.
But the particle decay has some width, so the products of the particle,generally, will have total energy different than Mc^2.
How can it be, is there no energy conservation?

Physics news on Phys.org
nevo said:
When we look at a particle's rest frame
its energy is Mc^2.
But the particle decay has some width, so the products of the particle,generally, will have total energy different than Mc^2.
How can it be, is there no energy conservation?

Did you ever look at the kinetic energy of the decay products?

Zz.

There certainly is conservation of energy, the two decay particles may have some non-zero velocity in the original particle's rest frame. Energy and momentum are always conserved (in a closed system).

Edit: Dammit Zz.

At the beginning the two decay product did not exist.
For instance when a rho particle decay into to pions,
its energy in its rest frame is Mc^2.
But the decay products, the two pions,generally will have different energy than the original rho.
This is, as I understand, the meaning that the decay has a width.

The decay width is another name for the decay rate of a species. However, to answer what I believe your question to be; due to the HUP any particle with a finite lifetime has a non-zero mass distribution (has some uncertainty in the mass), this will result in a non-zero mass distribution for the products.

What do you mean by some uncertainty in the mass, is this like uncertainty
of the momentum?
Is the wave function of the particle is a superposition of eigen vectores with different mass eigen value?
Isn't the mass of the particle is the exact value that appear in the hamiltonian?

nevo said:
What do you mean by some uncertainty in the mass, is this like uncertainty
of the momentum?
Is the wave function of the particle is a superposition of eigen vectores with different mass eigen value?
Isn't the mass of the particle is the exact value that appear in the hamiltonian?

You do know that in these experiments, they don't measure just one decay, don't you? They measure a gazillion to get the statistics. So what do you think the "mass width" here means?

Zz.

First of all, I asked about the "mass width" because I don't understand this
expression.
Second, the fact that "They measure a gazillion to get the statistics" is gust a technical mean to learn about the physics, it is still meaningful to ask about one particle.
When I check about the muon mass in wikipedia or in any other place I always find gust one number, I never saw the width of its mass only of its decay, but even if there is such a thing as "mass width" it must influence the hamiltonian and also the one particle wave function.

Related to Is there no energy conservation?

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation refers to the practice of reducing the amount of energy used while still achieving the same outcome. This can be achieved through various means such as using energy-efficient appliances, implementing renewable energy sources, and reducing unnecessary energy consumption.

2. Is energy conservation necessary?

Yes, energy conservation is necessary to ensure the sustainability of our planet and its resources. As our population continues to grow and our energy demands increase, it is crucial to conserve energy to reduce the negative impact on the environment and to ensure future generations have access to the resources they need.

3. How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

Energy conservation benefits the environment in several ways. By reducing energy consumption, we can decrease the amount of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere, which contribute to climate change. It also helps preserve natural resources and habitats by reducing the need for energy extraction and production.

4. What are some ways to conserve energy in daily life?

There are many ways to conserve energy in daily life, including turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, using energy-efficient appliances, and reducing water consumption. Small changes in our daily habits can make a big impact on energy conservation.

5. How does energy conservation impact our economy?

Energy conservation can have a positive impact on the economy in several ways. It can lead to cost savings for individuals and businesses, as well as create jobs in the renewable energy sector. Additionally, by reducing our reliance on non-renewable energy sources, we can decrease our dependence on foreign energy and increase energy security.