Is there any intro topics involving topology and physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a physics-related topic in topology for an undergraduate project. The conversation includes a list of 15 suggested topics, some of which have direct connections to physics such as the Hairy Ball Theorem, Borsuk-Ulam Theorem, Seifert van Kampen and the Fundamental groups of surfaces, and covering spaces. These topics have potential applications in areas such as Lie groups, Earth sciences, gauge symmetry, and electrical potential problems.
ozone
I have recently been assigned a project in my undergraduate topology class. I would like to do something in physics which involves topology, but I am having trouble finding a basic topic. I understand that there are some very advanced topics in string theory and the like, but I would like to find something that is more accessible.

I have taken an undergraduate course in differential geometry, and graduate courses in geometrical methods in physics and general relativity. Hopefully there is a good topic available for someone with my limited knowledge. I'm open to any suggestions, but I'd like it to be something I could actually grasp and give a presentation on! Our Prof. recommended these 15 topics for a project. Perhaps one of these is relevant to physics?

(1) Topology of the Cantor set
(2) Topology of Sn and RPn
(3) Topology of simplicial complexes
(4) Topology of algebraic varieties
(5) History of the Euler characteristic
(6) Ham Sandwich theorem
(7) Hairy Ball Theorem
(8) Borsuk-Ulam Theorem
(8) Borsuk-Ulam Theorem
(9) Bolzano-Weierstrauss Property
(10) Covering spaces
(11) Proof of Fundamental Theorem of Algebra using topology
(12) Winding number
(14) Seifert van Kampen and the Fundamental groups of surfaces
(15) Poincare Conjecture

Physics news on Phys.org
ozone said:
Prof. recommended these 15 topics for a project. Perhaps one of these is relevant to physics?

Lots of topics below are actually relevant to physics. Unfortunately physics is not really my area of study, so I can only give a fairly shallow indication of results that are immediately of some interest in physics, but hopefully it can get you started until someone more knowledgeable drops by.

(7) Hairy Ball Theorem

This result essentially just states that there are no non-vanishing vector fields on even-dimensional spheres. An immediate corollary is that connected even-dimensional spheres cannot be Lie groups, which at least seems like it might interest a physicist.

(8) Borsuk-Ulam Theorem

This result, which states every map SnRn takes some pair of antipodal points into the same value, has a very direct connection to physics. In particular, the n = 2 case implies that there are antipodal points on the Earth with the same temperature and barometric pressure.

(14) Seifert van Kampen and the Fundamental groups of surfaces

This is actually a very cool result. Basically you find that closed surfaces are classified by their fundamental groups so there is a complete set of homotopy invariants to distinguish surfaces. The standard homotopy invariants already fail in the 3-dimensional case, where the lens spaces have identical homotopy groups but are non-homeomorphic, so the result is really something special. Not sure how to tie this into physics, but it is pretty interesting nonetheless.

Another possibility is (10) covering spaces. When we move from classical to quantum mechanics, the rotation group SO(3,R) moves to its cover, SU(2), and the restricted Lorentz group moves to its cover, SL(2,C).

And (12). If the 'winding number' means what I think it means, there's no fully rigorous theory of gauge symmetry without mentioning it.

dextercioby said:
And (12). If the 'winding number' means what I think it means, there's no fully rigorous theory of gauge symmetry without mentioning it.

In this case the winding number is the degree of a map S1→S1. It has connections to complex analysis where there is actually a concrete formula computing this number. Not sure if that is what you thought or not.

Winding numbers are used in complex contour integration for solving electrical potential problems. The signs of the residues depend on the winding being clockwise or counterclockwise. A simpler application is using winding numbers to determine if a point is inside a closed curve. I'm not sure how to tie that directly to physics except for the previously mentioned contour integrals.

Related to Is there any intro topics involving topology and physics?

1. What is topology and how is it related to physics?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and objects that do not change when they are stretched, bent, or twisted. In physics, topology is used to analyze and understand the shape and structure of physical systems, such as the behavior of particles and the properties of materials.

2. Can topology help explain the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics?

Yes, topology has been used to explain certain phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as the topological insulator effect, where particles can only move along the surface of a material and not through its interior. Topology can also be used to study the topological phases of matter, which are states of matter that cannot be described by traditional symmetry breaking theory.

3. How does topology play a role in cosmology?

Topology plays a crucial role in understanding the shape and structure of the universe. In cosmology, topology is used to study the curvature of space-time, the formation of galaxies and clusters, and the overall geometry of the universe. It can also help explain the origins of cosmic structures and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

4. Are there any practical applications of topology in physics?

Yes, topology has practical applications in various fields of physics, such as condensed matter physics, particle physics, and cosmology. In condensed matter physics, topology is used to study the behavior of materials and their electronic properties. In particle physics, topology is used to understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. In cosmology, topology is used to study the structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Can topology be used to solve problems in physics?

Yes, topology can be applied to solve various problems in physics, such as predicting the properties of new materials, understanding the behavior of complex systems, and explaining the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as in black holes or the early universe. Topology can also help identify new phenomena and relationships between different areas of physics.