Is There an Error in the Derivation of Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

I see...thanks a lot!In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect step in the calculation of $$b^+*b$$, where the term $$\frac{1}{2}(ξ-\frac{d}{dξ})(ξ+\frac{d}{dξ})$$ is not expanded correctly. The correct expansion should be $$\frac{1}{2}(\xi^2 +\xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi - \frac{d^2}{d\xi^2})$$. However, there is still confusion about how to handle the term $$x\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{
TimeRip496
upload_2016-1-31_3-3-25.png
upload_2016-1-31_3-33-26.png
upload_2016-1-31_3-3-43.png
upload_2016-1-31_3-4-23.png

When I work out $$b^+b$$, I get

$$\widehat{b^+} \widehat{b} = \frac{1}{2} (ξ - \frac{d}{dξ})(ξ + \frac{d}{dξ}) = \frac{1}{2} (ξ^2 - \frac{d^2}{dξ^2}) = \frac{mωπx^2}{h} - \frac{h}{4mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}$$

So base on what I have about, (9) should be
$$(9) = \frac{hω}{2π} (\frac{1}{2} \widehat{b^+} \widehat{b} + \frac{1}{2} ξ^2)$$
instead of (10).

Am I missing out something?

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-31_3-2-57.png
    upload_2016-1-31_3-2-57.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac{1}{2}(ξ-\frac{d}{dξ})(ξ+\frac{d}{dξ})=\frac{1}{2}(ξ^2-\frac{d^2}{dξ^2})##
The above step is not correct. Instead, it should be
$$
\frac{1}{2}(\xi-\frac{d}{d\xi})(\xi+\frac{d}{d\xi}) = \frac{1}{2}(\xi^2 +\xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi - \frac{d^2}{d\xi^2}).
$$
Then simplify the second and third terms.

Likes TimeRip496
blue_leaf77 said:
##\frac{1}{2}(ξ-\frac{d}{dξ})(ξ+\frac{d}{dξ})=\frac{1}{2}(ξ^2-\frac{d^2}{dξ^2})##
$$
\frac{1}{2}(\xi-\frac{d}{d\xi})(\xi+\frac{d}{d\xi}) = \frac{1}{2}(\xi^2 +\xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi - \frac{d^2}{d\xi^2}).
$$
Based on yours,
$$
\frac{1}{2}(\xi-\frac{d}{d\xi})(\xi+\frac{d}{d\xi}) = \frac{1}{2}(\xi^2 +\xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi - \frac{d^2}{d\xi^2}) = \frac{mωπx^2}{h} - \frac{h}{4mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} -\frac{1}{2} + x\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx}
$$
This is where i am stuck again as to what do I do with $$x\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx}$$ and this one( $$\frac{h}{4mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}$$) has the term 4 instead of 8 as shown in equation (9).

TimeRip496 said:
$$
\frac{1}{2}(\xi^2 +\xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi - \frac{d^2}{d\xi^2}) = \frac{mωπx^2}{h} - \frac{h}{4mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} -\frac{1}{2} + x\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx}
$$
That's still incorrect.
The term ##\frac{d}{d\xi}\xi## should expand into two terms, what are they?

blue_leaf77 said:
That's still incorrect.
The term ##\frac{d}{d\xi}\xi## should expand into two terms, what are they?
##\frac{d}{d\xi}\xi = \frac{d}{d\xi}(\xi * 1) = 1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}##
Is this correct?

TimeRip496 said:
##\frac{d}{d\xi}\xi = \frac{d}{d\xi}(\xi * 1) = 1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}##
Is this correct?
Yes, that one is correct.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes, that one is correct.
What about this one( $$\frac{h}{4mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}$$) which is supposed to be in equation (9)?

The only way I can get to $$\frac{h^2}{8mωπ^2} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}$$ is by multiplying $$\frac{h}{4mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}$$ with $$\frac{h}{2π}$$, which I don't know where to get from.
How I get $$\frac{h}{4mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}$$,
First, $$dξ = \sqrt[] {\frac{2mπω}{h}} * dx$$
Squaring it, $$dξ^2 = \frac{2mπω}{h} * dx^2$$
Subbing it into $$ \frac{d^2}{dξ^2} $$ from b+*b, I get $$\frac{h}{2mωπ} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}$$ before multiplying 0.5 from the bracket outside $$\frac{1}{2}(\xi^2 +\xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi - \frac{d^2}{d\xi^2})=b^+*b$$.

Last edited:
TimeRip496 said:
upload_2016-1-31_3-3-43-png.95071.png
The coefficient in front of the second order derivative in the above equation is not correct, as you can check its dimensionality. It should be
$$
\frac{h}{4m\omega \pi}
$$
which is the result you obtained from your own calculation. This is the correct one as you can check by multiplying it with the constant outside the square bracket and it should lead to ##p^2/(2m)##.

blue_leaf77 said:
$$
$$
blue_leaf77 said:
The coefficient in front of the second order derivative in the above equation is not correct, as you can check its dimensionality. It should be
$$
\frac{h}{4m\omega \pi}
$$
which is the result you obtained from your own calculation. This is the correct one as you can check by multiplying it with the constant outside the square bracket and it should lead to ##p^2/(2m)##.
Thanks a lot!

blue_leaf77 said:
$$
$$
Sorry to trouble you again.
Talking about the second and third terms, $$ \xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi = \xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - (1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}) $$
Initially I thought I can cancel out the $$\xi\frac{d}{d\xi}$$ by subtracting it with $$\xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}$$, but in my another thread, you told me that
$$∅*(\frac{d}{dξ})\neq \frac{d∅}{dξ}$$, that's why I am stuck at this part.

I should probably have corrected your post #5, instead of equal sign it might have been more appropriate to use arrow instead:
$$
\frac{d}{d\xi}\xi \rightarrow \frac{d}{d\xi}(\xi * 1) = 1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}.
$$
with the arrow sign is intended to mean that the expression to the left is to be operated on a function, in the above case a number ##1##. The insertion of a ##1## there is supposed to be thought as an arbitrary object because remember that Hamiltonian is actually an operator, it's not yet a physical quantity. Therefore, writing ##H## only with nothing following it does not have mathematical significance. Only when you make it operate on an arbitrary state ##\psi## will the expression ##H\psi## be meaningful.
TimeRip496 said:
##
\xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - \frac{d}{d\xi}\xi = \xi\frac{d}{d\xi} - (1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi})##
In the above equation, if you make it as if it operates on a ##1## (or an arbitrary state ##\psi##), it should become
$$
\xi\frac{d}{d\xi}1 - (1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}).
$$

blue_leaf77 said:
I should probably have corrected your post #5, instead of equal sign it might have been more appropriate to use arrow instead:
$$
\frac{d}{d\xi}\xi \rightarrow \frac{d}{d\xi}(\xi * 1) = 1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}.
$$
with the arrow sign is intended to mean that the expression to the left is to be operated on a function, in the above case a number ##1##. The insertion of a ##1## there is supposed to be thought as an arbitrary object because remember that Hamiltonian is actually an operator, it's not yet a physical quantity. Therefore, writing ##H## only with nothing following it does not have mathematical significance. Only when you make it operate on an arbitrary state ##\psi## will the expression ##H\psi## be meaningful.

In the above equation, if you make it as if it operates on a ##1## (or an arbitrary state ##\psi##), it should become
$$
\xi\frac{d}{d\xi}1 - (1 * \frac{d\xi}{d\xi} + \xi * \frac{d1}{d\xi}).
$$
Thanks a lot again! One last thing if you wouldn't mind,
After converting equation (9) to equation (10),
$$\hat{b}*∅_0 = 0$$
Thus, $$\hat{b}^+\hat{b}*∅_0 = 0$$,
So equation (10) left with $$\frac{hω}{2π}(0+\frac{1}{2})∅_0=E_0∅_0$$
Shouldn't $$E_0=\frac{hω}{4π}$$ instead of $$E_0=\frac{hω}{2π}$$?

Doesn't the equation ##\frac{hω}{2π}(0+\frac{1}{2})∅_0=E_0∅_0## correctly imply that ##E_0=\frac{hω}{4π}##?

blue_leaf77 said:
Doesn't the equation ##\frac{hω}{2π}(0+\frac{1}{2})∅_0=E_0∅_0## correctly imply that ##E_0=\frac{hω}{4π}##?
Yes, but from the source ##E_0=\frac{hω}{2π}##.
Source: http://vixra.org/pdf/1307.0007v1.pdf

TimeRip496 said:
Yes, but from the source ##E_0=\frac{hω}{2π}##.
Source: http://vixra.org/pdf/1307.0007v1.pdf
I think you should look for another source to study this subject, the author seems to be rather sloppy with his derivation.

blue_leaf77 said:
I think you should look for another source to study this subject, the author seems to be rather sloppy with his derivation.
Ok thanks!

Related to Is There an Error in the Derivation of Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a particle under the influence of a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from a fixed point. It is used to analyze the vibrational motion of atoms and molecules, as well as the behavior of particles in a variety of physical systems.

2. What is the significance of the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is significant because it is one of the few exactly solvable models in quantum mechanics. It serves as a building block for more complex systems and helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How does the energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator change with respect to its state?

The energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. As the state of the oscillator increases, the energy also increases in increments of ħω, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

4. What is the zero-point energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The zero-point energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is the minimum energy that the oscillator can have, even at its lowest possible energy state. This energy is equal to ħω/2 and represents the residual energy of the oscillator even when it is in its ground state.

5. How does the potential energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator differ from that of a classical harmonic oscillator?

In a classical harmonic oscillator, the potential energy is proportional to the square of the displacement from equilibrium. However, in a quantum harmonic oscillator, the potential energy is quantized and can only take on certain discrete values. Additionally, the ground state energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is not equal to zero, unlike that of a classical harmonic oscillator.