Is there an error in my textbook?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the integration of sec x tan x and whether it is equal to sec x. The expert summarizer points out that the textbook is correct and suggests verifying the answer by taking the derivative. They also mention that using the fact that \frac{d\tan x}{dx} = \sec^2 x can make the integration easier. The conversation ends with the student realizing their mistake and thanking the expert for their help.
Maddie1609

Homework Statement

1444318474802610179946.jpg

Homework Equations

Doesn't the integral of sec x tan x equal sec x?

The Attempt at a Solution

Screenshot_2015-10-08-17-31-27.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Maddie1609 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 89882

Homework Equations

Doesn't the integral of sec x tan x equal sec x?

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 89880

Your textbook is correct. The attachment of your work is too small and blurry for me to read, so I will not even try. I will look at it if you type it out.

Ray Vickson said:
Your textbook is correct. The attachment of your work is too small and blurry for me to read, so I will not even try. I will look at it if you type it out.
Great, thanks :-) Isn't the integral of sec x tan x equal to sec x?

Maddie1609 said:
Yes, but I don't see how this fact applies to your question.

Maddie1609 said:

Yes, as you can verify by taking the derivative. Likewise, you can check the book's answer by differentiation (which is something you should always do whenever you integrate).

Likes Maddie1609
Maddie1609 said:
Isn't the integral of sec x tan x equal to sec x?

Well, it is correct, but the textbook uses the fact that [itex]\frac{d\tan x}{dx} = \sec^2 x[/itex]. If you use [itex] \frac{d(\sec x \tan x)}{dx} = \sec x [/itex], then the first part of integration will be
[tex] \int \sec^2 x \tan^2 x dx = \int \sec x \tan^2 x d(\sec x \tan x), [/tex]
which is not that easy to calculate. However, when you use [itex]\frac{d\tan x}{dx} = \sec^2 x[/itex], then
[tex] \int \sec^2 x \tan^2 x dx = \int \tan^2 x d(\tan x) = \dfrac{1}{3} \tan^3 x + C_1. [/tex]

Likes Maddie1609
Daeho Ro said:
Well, it is correct, but the textbook uses the fact that [itex]\frac{d\tan x}{dx} = \sec^2 x[/itex]. If you use [itex] \frac{d(\sec x \tan x)}{dx} = \sec x [/itex], then the first part of integration will be
[tex] \int \sec^2 x \tan^2 x dx = \int \sec x \tan^2 x d(\sec x \tan x), [/tex]
which is not that easy to calculate. However, when you use [itex]\frac{d\tan x}{dx} = \sec^2 x[/itex], then
[tex] \int \sec^2 x \tan^2 x dx = \int \tan^2 x d(\tan x) = \dfrac{1}{3} \tan^3 x + C_1. [/tex]
Thank you! I just went over it again and realized I forgot about the chain rule.

Mark44 said:
Yes, but I don't see how this fact applies to your question.
I just realized as much myself:-p I forgot about the chain rule, so I intgrated (sec x tan x)2 to be (sec3 x)/3.

Related to Is there an error in my textbook?

1. Is it common for textbooks to have errors?

Yes, it is not uncommon for textbooks to have errors. Textbooks are created by human beings who are prone to making mistakes. Additionally, textbooks go through many revisions and edits before being published, so errors can still slip through the cracks.

2. How can I find errors in my textbook?

One way to find errors in your textbook is to carefully read and review the content. Look for inconsistencies, incorrect information, or typos. You can also cross-reference the information with other reliable sources to check for accuracy.

3. What should I do if I find an error in my textbook?

If you find an error in your textbook, you should first verify that it is indeed an error by cross-checking with other sources. Then, you can bring the error to the attention of the publisher or author. They may have a process in place for reporting errors and making corrections.

4. Can errors in textbooks have serious consequences?

Yes, errors in textbooks can have serious consequences, especially in subjects like science and mathematics where accuracy is crucial. Students may misunderstand important concepts or equations if there are errors in the textbook, leading to incorrect learning and potential mistakes on exams or in real-world applications.

5. How can errors in textbooks be prevented?

To prevent errors in textbooks, publishers and authors should have thorough review processes in place to catch mistakes before the book is published. Additionally, using reliable sources and fact-checking information can help to ensure accuracy in the content. However, it is important to remember that human error can still occur, so it is always a good idea to double-check information with multiple sources.