Is there an error in my coordinate system transformation and vector matching?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector that is the same in two orthonormal coordinate systems. The process involves finding the axis of rotation between the two systems and finding a vector that projects onto both systems with the same values. The conversation also mentions using a transformation matrix to find the vector and discusses the possibility of a rational approximation for the correct answer.
tub08918
So I am going through the exam guide for my exam tomorrow and there is a second problem that stump me. We transform the cartesian axis to <1/√3,1/√3,1√3> and <1/√2,0,-1/√2> which are orthogonal and we find the third axis by taking the cross product which gives <-881/2158,881/1079,-881/2158>

Then we have to find a vector that is the same in both coordinate systems
upload_2015-10-14_10-10-24.png

I plotted in MATLAB and the only vector I can find that matches the criteria is <0,0,0> is there anything I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have two orthonormal coordinate systems, then they are related by a rotation. (I did not check if your basis vectors are indeed orthonormal. You should check that third one pretty carefully. I don't think it is correct.)

A rotation has an axis. Under this rotation, that axis does not change. You need to find the axis of rotation between the two coordinate systems. However, unless you have done quite a bit of geometry, that might not be particularly helpful for you.

Instead, what you want is a vector that projects onto both sets of coordinates with the same first, second, and third values. If that vector is V=(x,y,z), then the projection on the original coordinates is easy. It's just x, y, and z, in the first, second, and third directions, respectively.

Now you need to find an x, y, and z such that the following are satisfied.
V dot <1/√3,1/√3,1√3> = x
V dot <1/√2,0,-1/√2> = y
V dot <-881/2158,881/1079,-881/2158> = z

Then, the components of the vector V in the new coordinate system will be the same as in the old.

Hi DEvens

vector <1/√3,1/√3,1√3> and <1/√2,0,-1/√2> have a dot product equal to zero, and the vector <-881/2158,881/1079,-881/2158> was the result of crossing a and b sso te should be all orthogonal to one another but I could be wrong. Your three formulas are very interesting but I am confused as to what to plu g in where.

So I have three rotated vectors <1/√3,1/√3,1√3> <1/√2,0,-1/√2> <-881/2158,881/1079,-881/2158>
and the original vectors
<1,0,0> <0,1,0> <0,0,1>
so do I do
<1,0,0>dot<<1/√3,1/√3,1√3>> = x that is the same in both coordinate system?

tub08918 said:
<-881/2158,881/1079,-881/2158>
appears to be a rational approximation to the correct answer < -1/sqrt 6, 2/sqrt6, -1/sqrt6 >

So I spent yesterday emulating a video on khan academy to my data:
C=[a' b' c'] where
a=[1\3.5,1/3.5,1/3.5]
b=[1/2.5,0,2/6.5]
c=[-1/6.5, 2/6.5,-1/6.5]

D=[a' b' c'] where a'=[1 0 0] b =[0 1 0] c=[0 0 1]

So I find the transformation matrix as

T=CDC-1

which just gives me an identity vector. Is v and v' the same then?

Related to Is there an error in my coordinate system transformation and vector matching?

What is the transformation of coordinates?

The transformation of coordinates is the process of converting coordinates from one coordinate system to another. This is often necessary when working with data or measurements from different sources, or when using different mapping systems.

Why is the transformation of coordinates important?

The transformation of coordinates is important because it allows data or measurements to be accurately compared and overlaid on different maps or coordinate systems. It also ensures that locations are consistently represented and can be easily understood and communicated.

What are the different methods of transforming coordinates?

There are several methods of transforming coordinates, including the use of mathematical formulas, conversion tables, and software programs. The method used will depend on the specific coordinates and coordinate systems involved.

How does the transformation of coordinates affect accuracy?

The transformation of coordinates can affect accuracy, as there is always some level of error introduced in the process. The amount of error depends on the precision of the original coordinates, the accuracy of the transformation method used, and any limitations of the coordinate systems being used.

What are some common coordinate systems that require transformation?

Some common coordinate systems that require transformation include latitude/longitude, UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator), and State Plane Coordinate Systems. These coordinate systems are often used in navigation, surveying, and mapping applications.