Is there an analytical solution to the integral of a PDF?

In summary: Sorry if I'm being too technical.Just want to second this point. If B can't be decomposed by Cholesky factorization, then the answer will not be so simple. Thankfully all covariance matrices are ok. So this is step 1. Then once you are converted to independent y's, its simply a product of gaussian integrals, that is step 2. Sorry if I'm being too technical.That's correct, the answer will not be so simple if B cannot be decomposed by Cholesky factorization. Thanks for clarification!
Owen
Hey all,

I have an engineering background with a pretty terrible grounding in statistics and just about all maths that I can't immediately visualize as some kind of dynamic system, so forgive me if this is an obvious question!

I am working through a set of derivations for a conditional probability problem and am a little stuck on a rigorous proof of the following...

[tex]\int_{\Re^{n}}\exp(-\frac{1}{2}A B A^T)dA = \frac{1}{|2\pi B|^{1/2}}[/tex]

I can arrive at this solution by comparing the integral with that of the multivariate normal PDF which by definition is

[tex]\int_{\Re^{n}}\frac{1}{|2\pi \Sigma|^{1/2}}\exp(-\frac{1}{2}X \Sigma^{-1} X^T)dX = 1[/tex]

(Substitute [tex]X = A[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma = B^{-1}[/tex] then cross multiply by everything outside of the exponential.)

Am I right in thinking that there is no analytical solution of this integral? It feels wrong to simply state it without proof, but if there is no solution how else can I present it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Owen

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean "integral" = |2 pi B|^(1/2), instead of |2 pi B|^(-1/2)?

Thanks for the reply!

I believe it should be ^(-1/2) as I'm substituting sigma with B^-1 and I'm fairly sure that 1/det(B^-1) = det(B) (although I can't remember the proof for this!). So the fraction inside the integral gets flipped on the LHS, making ^(-1/2) correct.

I'm pretty happy with the first equation, its the fact that I've used the 2nd equation to construct it and I'd like to prove the second equation, if this is even possible!

Owen said:
I'm pretty happy with the first equation, its the fact that I've used the 2nd equation to construct it and I'd like to prove the second equation, if this is even possible!

The Gaussian integral: [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e ^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{x}[/tex]

An analytic solution of this is given here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

When normalized, it gives the core function for the Gaussian PDF where [tex](x-\mu)^2/2\sigma^2[/tex] replaces [tex]x^2[/tex].

Last edited:
Owen said:
Thanks for the reply!

I believe it should be ^(-1/2) as I'm substituting sigma with B^-1 and I'm fairly sure that 1/det(B^-1) = det(B) (although I can't remember the proof for this!). So the fraction inside the integral gets flipped on the LHS, making ^(-1/2) correct.

Okay, but then "2 pi" should be a divisor, not a multiplier of B.

Cheers for the replies.

EnumaElish, you are correct. I wrote this post from memory without referring to my notes. The 2pi is indeed a divisor!

SW VandeCarr, that's exactly what I was after. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

Owen said:
Cheers for the replies.

EnumaElish, you are correct. I wrote this post from memory without referring to my notes. The 2pi is indeed a divisor!

SW VandeCarr, that's exactly what I was after. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

You're welcome. This function and the closely related error function (erf) are about the most interesting in probability theory. They are non-elementary special functions.

Sorry. The Gaussian integral is: [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e ^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex].

Last edited:
The Gaussian integral can be evaluated by first squaring (to get a 2d integral) then changing to polar coordinates. To work out the nd version you'll need to convert to coordinates such that e.g. y'y = x'Bx (this assumes B is non-singular).

bpet said:
The Gaussian integral can be evaluated by first squaring (to get a 2d integral) then changing to polar coordinates. To work out the nd version you'll need to convert to coordinates such that e.g. y'y = x'Bx (this assumes B is non-singular).

Just want to second this point. If B can't be decomposed by Cholesky factorization, then the answer will not be so simple. Thankfully all covariance matrices are ok. So this is step 1. Then once you are converted to independent y's, its simply a product of gaussian integrals, that is step 2.

Related to Is there an analytical solution to the integral of a PDF?

1. What is a PDF?

A PDF (probability density function) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a continuous random variable taking on a certain value or falling within a certain range of values. It is often used in statistics to describe the distribution of data.

2. What is an analytical solution?

An analytical solution is a mathematical expression that can be written in terms of known functions and operations, making it possible to calculate the exact solution. In the context of an integral of a PDF, an analytical solution would involve finding a closed-form expression for the integral.

3. Why is finding an analytical solution to the integral of a PDF important?

Finding an analytical solution to the integral of a PDF allows for a more precise and accurate understanding of the data. It also allows for more efficient calculations and can provide insights into the properties of the PDF, such as the mean and variance.

4. Is it always possible to find an analytical solution to the integral of a PDF?

No, it is not always possible to find an analytical solution to the integral of a PDF. In some cases, the integral may be complex or have no closed-form solution, requiring numerical methods to approximate the solution.

5. How do scientists approach finding an analytical solution to the integral of a PDF?

Scientists will typically use mathematical techniques and knowledge of the properties of the PDF to attempt to find an analytical solution. If an analytical solution is not possible, they may use numerical methods or approximations to estimate the integral.