Is there a way to prove Axiom of Choice I from Axiom of Choice II?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Axiom of Choice I and II, which are statements in set theory that state the existence of a function for a given relation or set of nonempty sets, respectively. The question posed is whether Axiom I can be proven from Axiom II. The conversation also includes a discussion of the correct notation for the axioms and a proposed proof, which ultimately requires the construction of a function.
NasuSama
I am learning interesting topics in set theory class. I believe that there is a straight proof of Axiom of Choice II by Axiom of Choice I.

If you don't know the axioms, see below:

Axiom of Choice I states that for any relation R, there is a function [itex]F\subseteq R[/itex] with [itex]dom(F) = dom(R)[/itex].

Axiom of Choice II states that the Cartesian product of nonempty sets is always nonempty. That is, if H is a function with domain I and if [itex](\forall i \in I)H(i)\neq ∅[/itex], then there is a function f with domain I such that [itex](\forall i \in I)f(i) \subseteq H(i)[/itex].

The question is: Is there a way to prove Axiom of Choice I from Axiom of Choice II?

Physics news on Phys.org
iirc: these are axioms in the same order - so "no".
axioms are statements taken to be true in order to draw conclusions from them.
if II could be proven from I then you won't need II to continue.
... now to be proved wrong ;)

I don't think those axioms are right.

NasuSama said:
I am learning interesting topics in set theory class. I believe that there is a straight proof of Axiom of Choice II by Axiom of Choice I.

If you don't know the axioms, see below:

Axiom of Choice I states that for any relation R, there is a function [itex]F\subseteq R[/itex] with [itex]dom(F) = dom(R)[/itex].

What if you take [itex]R=\emptyset[/itex]? Then it clearly doesn't hold?

Axiom of Choice II states that the Cartesian product of nonempty sets is always nonempty. That is, if H is a function with domain I and if [itex](\forall i \in I)H(i)\neq ∅[/itex], then there is a function f with domain I such that [itex](\forall i \in I)f(i) \subseteq H(i)[/itex].

You want [itex]f(i)\in H(i)[/itex] and not [itex]f(i)\subseteq H(i)[/itex].

The question is: Is there a way to prove Axiom of Choice I from Axiom of Choice II?

Anyway, if you correct your two axioms enough, then I and II are indeed equivalent (as they should be). The proof is really a good exercise, but to prove I from II, you should think of

[tex]\prod_{i\in I} \{(i,y)~\vert~(i,y)\in R\}[/tex]

micromass said:

You want [itex]f(i)\in H(i)[/itex] and not [itex]f(i)\subseteq H(i)[/itex].

Anyway, if you correct your two axioms enough, then I and II are indeed equivalent (as they should be). The proof is really a good exercise, but to prove I from II, you should think of

[tex]\prod_{i\in I} \{(i,y)~\vert~(i,y)\in R\}[/tex]

Oh oops. Sorry for some sort of typos.

Wouldn't the proof starts with the Cartesian product of some sets instead of product of ordered pairs?

Last edited:
Here is my approach.

I define:

[itex]X_{i\in I} H(i) = f | f with dom(f) = I and \forall i \in I f(i) \in H(i)[/itex]

Assume that H(i) and f(i) are not empty, and that H(i) has the domain I.

If dom(f) = I and dom(H) = I, then dom(f) = dom(H) = I. Then, we need to show that [itex] f \subseteq H [/itex]

Let [itex](i,y) \in f[/itex]. It should be clear that [itex](i,y) \in f(i) \in H(i)[/itex] → [itex](i,y) \in H(i)[/itex]. So [itex]f \subseteq H[/itex]

micromass said:

I agree. If R is a nonempty set of ordered pairs(a relation) and F = ∅, then dom(F)≠dom(R) and so Axiom I clearly fails. However, if R = ∅ then the Axiom of Choice doesn't apply because it specifically refers to a collection of nonempty sets.

NasuSama,

The Axiom of Choice states that every collection of non-empty sets has a choice function. That is: If I≠∅ is an index set and the nonempty collection of sets
[tex]S_{i \in I}[/tex] has the property that that [tex]S_{\forall i \in I} \ne \emptyset[/tex] then [tex]\exists f \; | \; f(i) \in S_{i}, \forall i \in I[/tex]

Given that the Axiom of Choice is not falsifiable in ZFC set theory the best you can do is to show equivalents of it.

My approach would be to reformulate Axiom of Choice I as the statement: For every relation R ≠ ∅, there exists a function F such that [tex]F(h) \in h \; , \; \forall h \in \mathcal{P}(R) \sim \emptyset[/tex].

NasuSama said:
Wouldn't the proof starts with the Cartesian product of some sets instead of product of ordered pairs?

I'm not taking the product of order pairs. I'm defining the following subset of [itex]R[/itex]. For each [itex]i\in I[/itex], let

[tex]R_i = \{(i,y)~\vert~(i,y)\}[/tex]

and then I take the product

[tex]\prod_{i\in I} R_i[/tex]

Apply the second form of AC on that.

NasuSama said:
Here is my approach.

I define:

[itex]X_{i\in I} H(i) = f | f with dom(f) = I and \forall i \in I f(i) \in H(i)[/itex]

The usual notation is with \prod. So I guess it should be

[tex]\prod_{i\in I} H(i) = f[/tex]

But I don't see what it means to set a product of sets equal to a function.

Assume that H(i) and f(i) are not empty, and that H(i) has the domain I.

What does it mean for H(i) to have domain I?? H(i) is just a set.

If dom(f) = I and dom(H) = I, then dom(f) = dom(H) = I. Then, we need to show that [itex] f \subseteq H [/itex]

Let [itex](i,y) \in f[/itex]. It should be clear that [itex](i,y) \in f(i) \in H(i)[/itex] → [itex](i,y) \in H(i)[/itex]. So [itex]f \subseteq H[/itex]

Why does [itex]f\subseteq H[/itex] show what we want?

Furthermore, in this entire proof, you have postulated the existence of [itex]f[/itex]. But you have to actually construct [itex]f[/itex] in some way.

Zelyucha said:
I agree. If R is a nonempty set of ordered pairs(a relation) and F = ∅, then dom(F)≠dom(R) and so Axiom I clearly fails.

You can't choose [itex]F=\emptyset[/itex] since then [itex]F[/itex] wouldn't be a function.

However, if R = ∅ then the Axiom of Choice doesn't apply because it specifically refers to a collection of nonempty sets.

The OP never said anything about nonempty sets. He should have, though.

The Axiom of Choice states that every collection of non-empty sets has a choice function. That is: If I≠∅ is an index set and the nonempty collection of sets
[tex]S_{i \in I}[/tex] has the property that that [tex]S_{\forall i \in I} \ne \emptyset[/tex] then [tex]\exists f \; | \; f(i) \in S_{i}, \forall i \in I[/tex]

Given that the Axiom of Choice is not falsifiable in ZFC set theory the best you can do is to show equivalents of it.

The Axiom of Choice is an axiom in ZFC. I guess you mean ZF.

My approach would be to reformulate Axiom of Choice I as the statement: For every relation R ≠ ∅, there exists a function F such that [tex]F(h) \in h \; , \; \forall h \in \mathcal{P}(R) \sim \emptyset[/tex].

I'm not sure how this would help us. Your [itex]F[/itex] would then be a function with domain [itex]\mathcal{P}(R)[/itex]. That is not the intention of the Axiom of Choice I. I don't doubt that it is equivalent to your statement however, but it's making things difficult.

micromass said:
You can't choose [itex]F=\emptyset[/itex] The Axiom of Choice is an axiom in ZFC. I guess you mean ZF.

Well yeah, since the Z in ZFC is for Ernst Zermelo who formulated it first.
I'm not sure how this would help us. Your [itex]F[/itex] would then be a function with domain [itex]\mathcal{P}(R)[/itex]. That is not the intention of the Axiom of Choice I. I don't doubt that it is equivalent to your statement however, but it's making things difficult.

For any non-empty set S, [itex]\mathcal{P}(R) \sim ]emptyset[/itex] is itself a collection of non-empty sets. An equivalent statement(the way Paul Halmos defines it in his book Naive Set Theory[/I) is:

The Cartesian product of a collection of non-empty sets is non-empty

What I'm trying to do is clarify what the Axiom of Choice actually says. When I first learned it from the book I referenced, it made very little sense. But once you understand what a Choice function is(a function that picks out an element from a non-empty set), then it becomes more clear. Since a (finitary)relation R on a set is just a collection of n-tuples, then if the set is not empty then R is a non-empty. Now in the case of a finite collection of non-empty finite sets, you actually can prove the existence of a choice function on them.

Zelyucha said:
then if the set is not empty then R is a non-empty.

Why can't the empty set be a relation?

Related to Is there a way to prove Axiom of Choice I from Axiom of Choice II?

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a fundamental mathematical principle that states that for any non-empty set of non-empty sets, there exists a function that can choose one element from each set. It is an important tool in mathematical proofs and has been a subject of much debate and study in the field of mathematics.

2. What is Axiom of Choice I and Axiom of Choice II?

Axiom of Choice I and Axiom of Choice II are two different formulations of the Axiom of Choice that are equivalent in most set theories. Axiom of Choice I states that for any non-empty set of non-empty sets, there exists a function that can choose one element from each set. Axiom of Choice II states that for any set, there exists a well-ordering on that set. Both formulations have been extensively studied and used in mathematical proofs.

3. Can Axiom of Choice I be proven from Axiom of Choice II?

Yes, Axiom of Choice I can be proven from Axiom of Choice II in most set theories. This is known as the "proving theorem" and it states that if Axiom of Choice II is assumed to be true, then Axiom of Choice I can be proven to be true as well.

4. Why is there a need for two different formulations of the Axiom of Choice?

The two different formulations of the Axiom of Choice, Axiom of Choice I and Axiom of Choice II, were developed to better understand and study the principle. They are equivalent in most set theories and can be used interchangeably, but they have different properties and implications, which make them useful in different mathematical contexts.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the Axiom of Choice?

Yes, there have been several controversies surrounding the Axiom of Choice, mainly due to its counterintuitive implications and its role in mathematical proofs. One of the most well-known controversies is the Banach-Tarski paradox, which shows that the Axiom of Choice can be used to prove that a solid sphere can be divided into a finite number of pieces and reassembled to form two identical copies of the original sphere. However, despite these controversies, the Axiom of Choice remains an important principle in mathematics and is widely accepted by most mathematicians.