Is There a Universal Group Contraction for Lorentz and Galilean Groups?

In summary, Mr. Faddeev discusses how mathematics has been used to develop physics and how the laws of physics remain invariant under various transformations.
Kevin_spencer2
Is Lorentz group correct?, my question is let's be a group A so the Lorentz Groups is a subgroups of it so [tex] A>L [/tex] (L=Lorentz group , G= Galilean group) of course if we had an element tending to 0 so:

[tex] A(\hbar)\rightarrow L [/tex] (Group contraction)

so for small h the groups A and L are the same and the laws of physics are invariant under L or A transform, but a pure quantum level when Planck's h is different from 0 the A and L group would be completely different.

this 'Group contraction' would be an analogue of:

[tex] L(\beta)\rightarrow G [/tex] where 'beta' is v/c for small velocities we find that law of physics are invariant under Galilean or Lorentz transform.

the question is what would be the 'A' group?, could we find a group A so contracted in elements b=v/c or e=h gives us the Lorentz or Galiean groups and that the transformations (Lorentz, galilean,..) are linear?.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's interesting.

I think you mean something like this:http://www.physics.umd.edu/robot/einstein/eicontr.html", isn't it?

I am afraid that I hear the phrase "group contraction" now at the first time, so I know nothing about this, but it seems to me very interesting. I hope that you will find an expert of this topic here; I will read you with pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am familiar with contraction, but Kevin's post appears too incoherent for me to make out his question.

A possible reference for the notion of contraction would be Sharpe, Differential Geometry, a textbook on Cartan geometry. This is a notion which arises naturally in Lie theory and which can be used to relate various Lie groups by examining their Lie algebras.

Could you give a web reference for a brief summary of group contraction (perhaps with special regard to Lorentz-group)? I mean something like a Wikipedia article.

[screetch]Wikipedia?![/screetch]

mma said:
Could you give a web reference for a brief summary of group contraction (perhaps with special regard to Lorentz-group)? I mean something like a Wikipedia article.

Two seconds with Google yielded this:

http://eom.springer.de/C/c025850.htm

And another two seconds yields
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/39/6/510
E. Inönü, E.P. Wigner, "On the contraction of groups and their representations" Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA , 39 (1953) pp. 510–524

Instead of contraction, a similar term [in the "opposite direction"] used in the literature is "deformation",
e.g., http://www.numdam.org/numdam-bin/fitem?id=PMIHES_1998__S88__73_0
Faddeev, Ludvig, "A mathematician's view of the development of physics." Publications Mathématiques de l'IHÉS, S88 (1998), p. 73-79

Thank you, robphy and Chris!
Now reading...

Related to Is There a Universal Group Contraction for Lorentz and Galilean Groups?

1. What is the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical concept in physics that describes the transformations of space and time coordinates between different reference frames in special relativity. It is named after Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz and is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds.

2. Is the Lorentz group correct?

The Lorentz group is a well-established and extensively studied concept in physics. It has been validated through numerous experiments and is an essential part of our understanding of the universe. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to refinement and modification as new evidence and research emerge.

3. How is the Lorentz group used in physics?

The Lorentz group is used to describe the behavior of physical objects at high speeds, particularly in the context of special relativity. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics, to understand the symmetries and transformations of physical systems.

4. Can the Lorentz group be visualized?

Yes, the Lorentz group can be visualized using mathematical models and diagrams. For example, the Lorentz transformation can be represented using a Minkowski diagram, which shows the relationship between space and time coordinates in different reference frames. However, the concept of the Lorentz group is primarily a mathematical abstraction and may not have a direct physical representation.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Lorentz group?

There are various alternative theories to the Lorentz group, such as the Galilean transformations in classical mechanics. However, the Lorentz group has been extensively validated through experiments and is considered the most accurate and comprehensive model for describing the behavior of objects at high speeds. Other alternative theories, such as Lorentz-violating theories, are still being studied and have not yet been widely accepted in the scientific community.