Is there a shorthand notation for the operation of saturation

In summary, the question being discussed is whether there is an accepted shorthand mathematical notation for the operation of saturation, which means to limit the output of a functional operation to a specified range. The conversation presents a few options for notating this, with one person using their own shorthand notation and another suggesting the use of max and min functions. The person asking for help expresses gratitude for the suggestion and confirms that it meets their needs.
stevenb
I'd like to know if there is an accepted shorthand mathematical notation for the operation of saturation. Saturation basically means to take the output of any functional operation (or operator) and subject the final answer to limits.

For example, I might have the function y=2x, and might want to limit the output to the range 0 to 10. To notate this, there are a few options; for example.

y=0 if x<0; y=2x if 0<x<5; y=10 if x>5

or, y=0 if 2x<0; y=2x if 0<2x<10; y=10 if 2x>10

or, u=2x; y=0 if u<0; y=10 if u>10; y=u otherwise

This case by case method is becoming awkward in some work I'm doing which involves using saturation functions often. Right now, I'm using my own shorthand notation as follows:

[tex]y={\rm sat}_0^{10} \{2x\}[/tex]

This works fine for my purposes, but I'd like to use an accepted notation if one exists.

Any help is appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Usual notation would have y=max(0,min(10,2x))

mathman said:
Usual notation would have y=max(0,min(10,2x))

Ah, I like that, and it works for my purposes. Thank you very much!

Related to Is there a shorthand notation for the operation of saturation

1. What is saturation in the context of scientific notation?

Saturation in scientific notation refers to the maximum capacity of a substance or solution to hold a certain amount of another substance. It is commonly used in chemistry and physics to describe the point at which a solution or material is fully saturated with another substance.

2. Is there a specific shorthand notation for representing saturation?

Yes, there is a shorthand notation for saturation in scientific notation. It is represented by the symbol "sat" or "S" placed as a subscript after the substance or solution being saturated. For example, NaClsat or NaClS represents sodium chloride at its saturation point.

3. How is saturation different from concentration?

Saturation and concentration are two different concepts in scientific notation. Saturation refers to the maximum capacity of a substance to hold another substance, while concentration refers to the amount of a substance present in a given volume of a solution. Saturation is a measure of the quality of a solution, while concentration is a measure of quantity.

4. Can saturation be reached in all substances or solutions?

No, not all substances or solutions have the ability to reach saturation. Some substances may not be able to hold a certain amount of another substance due to their chemical properties, and some solutions may not have the ability to dissolve a certain amount of a substance. It depends on the specific substances and their interactions.

5. How is saturation calculated or measured in scientific notation?

Saturation can be calculated or measured in different ways depending on the substance or solution being studied. In general, saturation can be calculated by determining the maximum amount of a substance that can be dissolved in a given amount of a solvent. It can also be measured using various instruments such as spectrophotometers, which can measure the amount of a substance present in a solution at its saturation point.