(Is There a) Rule of Thumb for Upgrading?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary: If you have a project that uses a particular version of SQL Server, you should consider upgrading that version before starting the project, to reduce the chances of running into compatibility issues.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Given so many update notices for different software, when is it a good idea to update/upgrade?
Ok, so the latest is SSMS and SQL Server notices urging me to update. Obviously the general question of when does it make sense to upgrade/update is too broad. Any tips, rules of thumb , for when it makes sense to update/upgrade?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Always for bug fixes. Usually for minor improvements.

Likes pbuk and WWGD
I try to only update when I can afford the time and there's a pause in my project that depend on it.
i.e. assume the update is going to go pear-shaped and will need some baby-sitting.

Likes sysprog and WWGD
Best to update your tools between projects unless you have an issue to fix.

Likes sysprog and Tom.G
When the annoyance of not doing it becomes greater than the annoyance of doing it.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, CalcNerd, sysprog and 4 others
When you upgrade without much planning or experimenting things can go wrong In your project. A new an improved compiler may have deprecated some api that your program relies on heavily prompting you to rewrite those parts.

Or the new compiler has new command line flags that your build tool can’t set unless you update the build tool too.

Updates can cause a cascading effect that can derail your project and should be updated after the project is delivered And before another is started

Likes Tom.G and Lnewqban
jedishrfu said:
should be updated after the project is delivered
Unless the upgrade will improve the project sufficiently to warrant instigating it as its own phase (sprint?) .
All dev production should stop until the update is complete and regression tested.

Likes Tom.G
There are exceptions to every guideline.

I just wanted to point out that updates done mid project unless absolutely undeniably irrevocably needed should be deferred to the between projects time lest you affect your delivery schedule or even the delivery of the product or suite of products.

nuf said.

Likes Tom.G
We are talking about database software here that runs independently from any project that @WWGD may be working on. Within main version streams there is no change to the API that can break anything you are working on (unless you are patching SQL Server itself, which I don't think is the case).

You should keep SQL Server updated to the latest release for your version (ie. 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2022). Consider timing for updating to the next version, bearing in mind the need to regression test whatever you are running/developing that depends on it.

SSMS can be updated to the latest version at will - if something goes wrong you can just delete it and reinstall the old version (make sure you have access to the install file for that of course).

Likes jedishrfu

Related to (Is There a) Rule of Thumb for Upgrading?

1. What is a rule of thumb for upgrading my equipment?

A rule of thumb for upgrading refers to a general guideline or recommendation for when to update or replace your equipment. It is not a strict rule, but rather a suggestion based on common industry practices.

2. How do I know when it's time to upgrade my equipment?

The decision to upgrade your equipment should be based on several factors, such as the age and condition of your current equipment, changes in technology, and your specific needs and goals. It is important to regularly assess and evaluate these factors to determine if an upgrade is necessary.

3. Is there a specific timeline for upgrading equipment?

There is no specific timeline for upgrading equipment, as it varies depending on the type of equipment and its intended use. However, a general recommendation is to upgrade every 3-5 years to stay current with technology and avoid potential performance issues.

4. What are the benefits of upgrading my equipment?

Upgrading your equipment can provide numerous benefits, such as improved performance, increased efficiency, and access to new features and capabilities. It can also help you stay competitive in your field and meet changing industry standards.

5. How can I determine the cost-effectiveness of upgrading my equipment?

The cost-effectiveness of upgrading your equipment depends on various factors, such as the cost of the upgrade, potential savings in maintenance and operation costs, and the impact on your productivity and profitability. It is important to carefully weigh these factors before making a decision.