Is There a Need for Personal Bad Behavior Buttons on Social Media?

• Thread starter Rut Roh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the suggestion to activate a "bad behavior button" for users to report their own posts and take responsibility for their actions. Some suggest asking other users or moderators to push the button, while others mention the option to simply delete one's own post. The conversation also touches on the concept of an undercover cop spying on their own bad behavior and the existence of the bad behavior button to stop potential conflicts.
Rut Roh
Gold Member
Greg,

This is just a suggestion for thought maybe, but I have noticed that every body has a bad post button we can push to get a moderator's attention, but we aren't allowed to have access to our own bad behavior button.

Would it be possible to activate the bad behavior button for our own posts also? When I mess up, I don't have a problem addressing it and taking responsibility for whatever the problem was. But I am denied this token of responsibility with not having access to my own bad behavior button.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps a compromise solution would be to ask other users to please push your bad behavior button for you.

Rut Roh said:
Greg,

This is just a suggestion for thought maybe, but I have noticed that every body has a bad post button we can push to get a moderator's attention, but we aren't allowed to have access to our own bad behavior button.

Would it be possible to activate the bad behavior button for our own posts also? When I mess up, I don't have a problem addressing it and taking responsibility for whatever the problem was. But I am denied this token of responsibility with not having access to my own bad behavior button.

Thank you,

You can do even better than that: You can delete your own posts!

Well, deleting an entire post would have more integrity than having to turn to an arbitrator for taking responsibility for my own behavior. <smile> But it sure does mess up the smoothness of a thread.

A bad behavior button of one's own

This reminds me of A Scanner Darkly, wherein an undercover cop who happens to be a pot-smoking hippy in his off-duty life and who's identity is (through the magic of technology and per departmental procedures and regulations) hidden from his superiors is inadvertently assigned to spy on his own off-duty self -- and report on his own bad behavior.

One's own bad behavior button, indeed.

I never knew that button existed. Sounds more like a, "Whine about members you don't like button."

Hitssquad: LOL @ "A Scanner Darkly" That would be a very interesting position to find yourself in. I hadn't heard of that one.

Dagenais: The bad behavior button is the little red triangle on the left of the screen at the bottom of each post. The purpose is, I guess, that it is a quick response method to get a moderator's attention to stop a bad situation from getting out of hand.

Related to Is There a Need for Personal Bad Behavior Buttons on Social Media?

What is the "Missing Bad Behavior Button"?

The "Missing Bad Behavior Button" refers to a hypothetical button that is often referenced in behavioral psychology research. It is used as a measure of impulsivity and self-control, as individuals who struggle with these issues may have difficulty inhibiting their response to the button.

Why is the "Missing Bad Behavior Button" important in research?

The "Missing Bad Behavior Button" is important because it allows researchers to measure the cognitive and behavioral processes involved in self-control and impulsivity. By understanding how individuals respond to this button, researchers can gain insight into these important psychological concepts.

How is the "Missing Bad Behavior Button" used in experiments?

The "Missing Bad Behavior Button" is typically used in laboratory experiments where participants are asked to press a button in response to a specific cue or stimulus. The button may be presented as a measure of impulsivity, and researchers may vary the difficulty of inhibiting the response to study how different individuals respond to the button in different contexts.

Is the "Missing Bad Behavior Button" a reliable measure of impulsivity?

There is ongoing debate about the reliability of the "Missing Bad Behavior Button" as a measure of impulsivity. Some researchers argue that it may not accurately capture the full complexity of impulsivity, while others believe it can be a useful tool in understanding this concept. Further research is needed to fully understand the validity and reliability of this measure.

Can the "Missing Bad Behavior Button" be used in clinical settings?

The "Missing Bad Behavior Button" is primarily used in research settings and may not be applicable to clinical settings. However, some clinicians may use similar tasks or measures to assess impulsivity and self-control in their patients. It is important to note that this button should not be used as a diagnostic tool on its own and should be interpreted within the context of other psychological assessments.