Is there a mistake here so far?

• Thread starter franky2727
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the conversation is about solving the problem of finding the solution to the equation \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{3x- y+ 1}{x+ y+ 1}. One approach suggested is to set u= 3x- y+ 1 and v= x+ y+ 1, but this method seems complicated. Another approach involves rewriting the equation as an exact equation and using partial derivatives to find the solution. The conversation also includes a discussion about integrating with respect to y and x and determining the constant of integration. Finally, the solution is given as F= xy+ \frac{1}{2}y^2+ y-\frac{3}{2}x^2+ x
franky2727
question attached

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 336
Physics news on Phys.org
Mail it to my on wing-tales@gmail.com (without the - between wing and tales). Let me have a look.

You might want to include the topic of your problem in the title.

ok emailed

Could you write the starting problem here? The first sentence is a little hard to read.

The problem is to solve
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{3x- y+ 1}{x+ y+ 1}[/tex]

What franky2727 has done is to set u= 3x- y+1 and v= x+ y+ 1 so that, from the equation, y'= u/v. Then from the first equation u'= 3- y'= 3- u/v. I frankly don't see how adding more variables is going to help, especially since he then defines z= u/v so he winds up with a total of 5 variables!

franky2727, rewrite your equation as (x+y+ 1)dy = (3x-y+1)dx so that (x+y+1)dy- (3x-y+1)dx= (x+y+1)dy+ (-3x+ y- 1)dx= 0. Since (x+y+1)x= 1= (-3x+y-1)y, that is an exact equation. That is, there exist F(x,y) so that
[tex]dF= \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx= (x+y+1)dy+ (-3x+ y- 1)dx[/tex]
Since dF= 0, F(x,y)= constant. Do you know how to find F from
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= x+ y+ 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= -3x+ y- 1[/tex]?

erm, no not a clue the way my lecturer did it was to add u,v, and z and then back substitute when he got to the end but it seemed long winded and hard. i see what your doing adding DF to emiminate but i don't have a clue where you would go after this? isn't it easier to back substitute cos I'm quite confused here

oh and also just out of curiosity have i logged out that last line correctly?

If
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= x+ y+ 1[/tex]
the, integrating with respect to y (treating x as if it were a constant)
g(x)[/itex]
Notice that the "constant of integration" here may be a function of x because we are treating x as a constant. Differentiating that with respect to x,
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= y+ g'(x)[/tex]
and since we know the partial derivative of with respect to x must be -3x+ y+ 1,
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= y+ g'(x)= -3x+ y+ 1[/tex]
we have
[tex]g'(x)= -3x+ 1[/tex]
so
[tex]g(x)= -\frac{3}{2}x^2+ x[/tex]
(I've ignored the constant of integration- which really is a constant since g is a function of x only)
Putting those together,
[tex]F= xy+ \frac{1}{2}y^2+ y-\frac{3}{2}x^2+ x[/tex]
and since dF= 0 means F= C,
[tex]xy+ \frac{1}{2}y^2+ y-\frac{3}{2}x^2+ x= C[/tex]

Related to Is there a mistake here so far?

1. What is the definition of a mistake in this context?

A mistake in this context refers to an error or inaccuracy in the information presented or the process used to obtain that information. It could be a grammatical mistake, a mathematical error, or a flaw in the logic of an argument.

2. How can we identify a mistake in a scientific study or experiment?

In order to identify a mistake in a scientific study or experiment, it is important to carefully review and analyze the data, methods, and conclusions presented. This can involve checking for consistency, evaluating the validity of the methods used, and considering alternative explanations for the results.

3. Are mistakes common in scientific research?

Mistakes are not uncommon in scientific research, as the process of conducting experiments and analyzing data can be complex and prone to human error. However, the scientific method and rigorous peer review processes are in place to help identify and correct mistakes.

4. What are the potential consequences of a mistake in scientific research?

The consequences of a mistake in scientific research can vary depending on the severity of the mistake and the impact it has on the results or conclusions. It could lead to the need for a correction or retraction of the study, loss of credibility for the researchers or institution, or even harm to the public if the mistake leads to incorrect or harmful recommendations.

5. How can we prevent mistakes from occurring in scientific research?

To prevent mistakes from occurring in scientific research, it is important for researchers to follow established protocols and guidelines, use reliable and validated methods, and thoroughly review and validate their work before publishing. Collaboration and peer review can also help catch and correct mistakes before they are published.