Is There a General Method for Finding Full Reptend Primes?

• Thread starter imathgeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I don't know what it is.In summary, the cyclical nature of all repeating decimals can be shown if the base is not 2^x*5^y. The condition for this to be the case is that there must exist some r<k such that m*10^r==n (mod q) for all 0<n<m<q.
imathgeek
Hi there,

There was an interesting problem proposed to me by some office mates a couple of days ago: "Prove that n/7, where n= 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, is a repeating decimal where the digits repeat in a cyclical manner." I presented a more general proof of any fraction where the base is not 2^x*5^y will be repeating and non-terminating. However, the proof presented did not satisfy their cyclical requirement. Any suggestions on explaining to them that my proof is satisfactory or what should I add to a proof that would show the cyclical nature of all repeating decimals?

Thanks

Ken

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not true that all repeating decimals are cyclic in the way that the n/7-set is cyclic

For example,
1/9=0.11...
2/9=0.22..

There is no "cyclic" connection between 1/9 and 2/9!

What you should do, is simply to perform the divisions 1/7,2/7,3/7,4/7,5/7,6/7
and identify the cyclic connection between these decimal expansions.

If the decimal representation of p/q has repeating blocks of 'n' digits, then
(p/q)*(10^n -1) =k, an integer.

In the case of n/7, the repeating block has 6 digits. So all you need is for 999999 to be divisible by 7...and it is !

From this you can see that if q is even you won't have repeating blocks. Also, no 999...9 will be divisible by 5. So if q=5 there will not be repeating blocks. And since 9 is divisible by both 3 and 9, the repeating block for those denominators will only be 1 digit long. This, I imagine does part of the job of your general proof for q=2^x*5^y.

i.e: For q<10, repeating blocks will seen only if q=3,7,9, and the size of the repeating blocks are 1,6,1 respectively.

Last edited:
Oops...didn't realize that you were supposed to show that the all numbers of the form n/7 had cyclical repetitions of the SAME block of digits.

Hmmm... it doesn't really say this anywhere in your post...

Gokul43201 said:
Oops...didn't realize that you were supposed to show that the all numbers of the form n/7 had cyclical repetitions of the SAME block of digits.

Hmmm... it doesn't really say this anywhere in your post...

Well that's how I interpreted "in a cyclical manner" (since I happen to know about this curious property of the n/7-fractions)

However, it seems you have a lot more general knowledge than me about number theory;
so I'd like to ask you:
What conditions must be present in order for the fractions m/n (1<=m<n) represent a "cyclic" permutation of the same block of digits?

I have a sneaking suspicion that n=7 is the only number where we have this property, but I'm not sure..

Just for the record, we have:
1/7=0.142857..
2/7=0.285714..
3/7=0.428571..
4/7=0.571428..
5/7=0.714285..
6/7=0.857142..

arildno said:
Well that's how I interpreted "in a cyclical manner" (since I happen to know about this curious property of the n/7-fractions)

However, it seems you have a lot more general knowledge than me about number theory;
so I'd like to ask you:
What conditions must be present in order for the fractions m/n (1<=m<n) represent a "cyclic" permutation of the same block of digits?

I have a sneaking suspicion that n=7 is the only number where we have this property, but I'm not sure..
I have a vanishingly small knowledge of number theory, and even that little bit is self taught...but I shall see where this goes...

It's not hard to show that n/q and m/q can be written with repeating blocks (of size k) of the same numbers if there exists some r<k satisfying
m*10^r == n (mod q) for all 0<n<m<q. {where a==b (mod c) means a-b is divisible by c}

If your suspicion is right, r's can be found only for q=7.

(I actually wrote the proof down till this point...and then I accidentally hit some button and lost everything...will do it again if required.)

If we restrict q to [1..10], then it's easy to eliminate q=2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10.

For example, take q=3 : 10==1 (mod 3) => 10^r == 1 (mod 3) for all r => m*10^r==m (mod 3).
So if we pick some (m,n) with m<>n, then there will be no r that satisfies the required condition.

Finding all q's in Z for which r's can be found seems harder. It is easy to show that q must be odd. Further, q will need to be prime for n/q to have a decimal representation with repeating blocks.

But for now, this is as far as I will try to go.

Last edited:
Also, the above condition can be shown to be satisfied by q=7. There are only 36 pairs of (m,n) to check and clearly the condition for (m,m) is satisfied by r=6, so there's ONLY 30 pairs to go !

So that answers imathgeek's original question. Perhaps his general proof is the way to go. That would be nice to see.

I'm sure there's a nicer way to prove this.

Last edited:
arildno said:

Uh Oh...check out 17,47.

Cool, I'll ponder on this for a while..:smile:

oops.

yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking too well before that first cup of coffee. Now, i am back to the proof.

Pure math is fun, but I still enjoy applied math. :)

Have fun,

Ken

Last edited:
I have done that. Thanks for the tip, though.

"No general method is known for finding full reptend primes. "

Hmmm...a few wasted minutes, but I did enjoy them.

Related to Is There a General Method for Finding Full Reptend Primes?

1. What is "Proof of n/7"?

"Proof of n/7" refers to a mathematical proof that shows that any number (represented by n) divided by seven will result in a certain number. This proof is based on the fundamental properties of division and can be used to solve various mathematical problems.

2. How is n/7 calculated?

To calculate n/7, simply divide the value of n by 7. For example, if n=14, then n/7 = 14/7 = 2.

3. What is the significance of n=1,2,3,4,5,6 in "Proof of n/7"?

The values of n=1,2,3,4,5,6 represent a range of numbers that can be used to demonstrate the proof of n/7. By using different values of n, we can see that the result of n/7 remains the same, proving the validity of the proof.

4. Can "Proof of n/7" be applied to any number?

Yes, the proof of n/7 can be applied to any number. The fundamental properties of division hold true for all numbers, making this proof applicable to any value of n.

5. How is "Proof of n/7" useful in real-world applications?

The proof of n/7 is useful in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to solve equations, simplify fractions, and even optimize algorithms. In real-world scenarios, this proof can help in calculating percentages, dividing resources, and predicting patterns in data.