Is there a formula for cosets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of left cosets of <a^4> in <a>, given that |a| = 30. The order of <a^4> is initially thought to be 8, but it is pointed out that this would violate Lagrange's theorem. It is then discovered that the order of <a^4> is actually 15, as shown through the equation (a^4)^k = e <=> a^(4k) = e.
semidevil
so let's say |a| = 30. How many left cosets of <a^4> in <a> are there?

ok, so |a| = 30. and think I need to find the order of <a^4> also. I thought the order of it is

<a^4> = e, a^4, a^8, a^12, a^16, a^20, a^24, a^28. so it has order of 8. but my book said the order of it is 15...

is there a formula they used to figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
<a^4> can't have an order of 8 - that would violate Lagrange's theorem.

You've simply forgotten some elements, for example, (a^4)^8 = a^(32) = a^2 is in <a^4>.

Last edited:
Muzza said:
<a^4> can't have an order of 8 - that would violate Lagrange's theorem.

You simply forgotten some elements, for example, (a^4)^8 = a^(32) = a^2 is in <a^4>.

ok. I still don't really know and can't find the answer. Is there a formula or theorm that states the order of a^n?

Why can't you find the answer? Just continue like you did, but instead of stopping listing elements when you reach (a^4)^7, continue. It will eventuelly start to repeat.

It's relatively easy to see that the order of a^4 is 15, since (a^4)^k = e <=> a^(4k) = e is equivalent to "|a| divides 4k", i.e. "30 divides 4k" (and the smallest solution to that is k = 15).

Muzza said:
Why can't you find the answer? Just continue like you did, but instead of stopping listing elements when you reach (a^4)^7, continue. It will eventuelly start to repeat.

It's relatively easy to see that the order of a^4 is 15, since (a^4)^k = e <=> a^(4k) = e is equivalent to "|a| divides 4k", i.e. "30 divides 4k" (and the smallest solution to that is k = 15).

ah...ok, I get what you mean now...thanx..

Related to Is there a formula for cosets?

1. What is a coset?

A coset is a subset of a group that is obtained by multiplying each element of the subset by a fixed element of the group. This fixed element is known as the "representative" of the coset.

2. Is there a specific formula for finding cosets?

Yes, the formula for cosets is given by aH = {ah | h ∈ H}, where a is the representative of the coset and H is the subgroup of the group.

3. How do you determine the number of cosets in a group?

The number of cosets in a group is equal to the index of the subgroup H in the group G. It can also be calculated using the formula |G|/|H|, where |G| is the order (number of elements) of the group and |H| is the order of the subgroup.

4. Can cosets be used to simplify group operations?

Yes, cosets can be used to simplify group operations by reducing the number of elements that need to be considered. This is especially useful when dealing with large or complex groups.

5. Are cosets unique in a group?

No, there can be multiple cosets in a group for a given subgroup. However, the set of all cosets form a partition of the group, meaning that each element of the group belongs to exactly one coset.